• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TS 50 Problem

I was being facetious :)

Sorry, that did not come out very clear in your post. (n) Believe me when I say I have been doing electronics servicing since even before I graduated tech school in 1983 and I have seen and heard just about everything so I leave nothing to chance when it comes to some things. ;)

Don't know if this makes you feel better , back when I was working in the industry. half the radios I saw on the bench had the protection diode blown.Reversed polarity or hooking 12 volt radios to 24 volt trucks is real common.You might be lucky and it's just the diode and or a track.But it can damage the finals , audio chip and the voltage regulator as well. Wish I had a dollar for every time I've heard "the fuse blew so I put a bigger one in".Another good one are the truckers who tap off one battery bank to get 12 volts and tap the 24 volt side by mistake . Works well until the radio finds ground through the chassis or ant socket, then you get some serious smoke.

Reactions: AK321
I have received items for repair that had "Aluminum foil" wrapped around the fuses. Then they complain that we won't honor the warranty.

Yupp you done burnt out the Rectifier Diode used for "Reverse Polarity Protection" Which is exactly what you did "Reversed Polarity" They stink a bit to don't they? ;) You will see the Diode and cant miss it as it will be Charred and will crumble and fall apart when you grab ahold of it to remove it when heating it up. Or most likely just touching it with anything will make it turn to dust.

Find out what value it is and if replacing it yourself be sure to note the direction it goes The banded end will be inserted where the Arrow or Triangle is printed on the board. Putting it in backwards will result in it popping or burning up again as soon as you hook it up and put power to it. Make sure you use the recconded part as using the wrong one can result in the radio boards demise.

Ive seen the traces on the foil side of the board burn or get hot to where they lift and look like your favorite Rollercoaster track at the Amusement Park (NOT GOOD) as this is a bear to work with or fix if its even possible.

Don't beat yourself up too much... we've all done some pretty stupid things, too. I'm guessing by your handle that you are in Alaska, but maybe you're not. This fella does good Kenwood repairs, and is southeast of Dallas, TX.

http://www.avvid.com/

Brett

Reactions: binrat
AK actually stands for American Kangaroo. I'm in WI and found a guy in Green Bay to work on it for me. Should go out in the mail today, so in a dew days, I'll find out the extent of the damage.

Repairing these after a reverse hook up can get pretty costly. I have worked on a few of these. I even bought one a year ago for 75 bucks. Yep, it was DOA. Someone tried repairing the rig. The IF board had little hair size wires jumping around everywhere. Can really tell the person working on it knew nothing about smd components. A lot of the smd can style caps were taped upside down to the board. Rigs a mess.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.