• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Kenwood TS440S: No QRP...

Well, since it 's a receiver it shouldn't cause any problems to your Kenwood. I would try it without an antenna first, since you're in such close proximity. There are also adjustments in the software, and on the SDR unit itself for adjusting RF gain. You can crank it back to allow for monitoring of your transmit signal.

Brett

Well, since it 's a receiver it shouldn't cause any problems to your Kenwood. I would try it without an antenna first, since you're in such close proximity. There are also adjustments in the software, and on the SDR unit itself for adjusting RF gain. You can crank it back to allow for monitoring of your transmit signal.

Brett

Oh, sorry I wasn't clearer. I mean I have another radio, an FT857D. If I listen to my audio from my TS440 on my FT857D, what kind of antenna do I need to have so I won't damage the radio I'm receiving on. Just asking because I know of a couple of guys who got damage on their radios that they attributed to next door neighbor's transmission.

At the moment, I don't turn on both at the same time.

Just try with no antenna and the attenuation button engaged on your 440,
also draw back on the rf gain as well if needed

Reactions: 2RT307
As Dave457 mentioned, and I have done the very same with my Icom IC-718. Crank the RF Gain way back, listen to yourself via earbuds or phones. Works like a charm.

Brett

Could be the mic and not the radio. What mic is being used? My voice doesn't match up to the kenwood stock mc-43 dynamike at all. Sounds tinny and not like me so I've been told by many. I use condenser mics on all my other radios and have no issue with them. Just something about the kenwood stock mic that my voice doesn't like. And I've loaned to others, and they sound great, same mic and radio (ts140s). Just food for thought. Also on eBay there is a seller that makes an eq that is plug and play.
Kinda like the the one made by WH2Y or something. Here is what I am talking about though. Might help your audio. And also make sure you are keeping the alc level where it's supposed to be as it will change with power settings. The one I posted is for an icom but I beleive they make one for the kenwood as well. Just different mic wiring is all. Hope this might help. But I would try a different mic of you can. Might make all the difference. Good luck.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 189
Could be the mic and not the radio. What mic is being used? My voice doesn't match up to the kenwood stock mc-43 dynamike at all. Sounds tinny and not like me so I've been told by many. I use condenser mics on all my other radios and have no issue with them. Just something about the kenwood stock mic that my voice doesn't like. And I've loaned to others, and they sound great, same mic and radio (ts140s). Just food for thought. Also on eBay there is a seller that makes an eq that is plug and play.
Kinda like the the one made by WH2Y or something. Here is what I am talking about though. Might help your audio. And also make sure you are keeping the alc level where it's supposed to be as it will change with power settings. The one I posted is for an icom but I beleive they make one for the kenwood as well. Just different mic wiring is all. Hope this might help. But I would try a different mic of you can. Might make all the difference. Good luck.

Ah thanks for the reply. Seems like the issue was loose connections in the old power line. I changed the terminal eyes with new ones. Tightened the connections on the fuse holders and put a dab of solder on each end of the fuses.

That seems to have fixed the issue for now.

Yeah. Those plugs get wallowed out and don't fit right, had the same issue with a power cable. Had to use a small flat head and slowly make the holes the right size and make sure they fit snug. Glad you found the issue. Those 440's sound good on air!! The ones I hear do anyway. I like my kenwood, but my icom 746 is my fav. Anyhow again glad you found issue and hope it works well for you!!

The MC50 and 60 are desk mics or no? I know they make some great mics. Not downing them one bit. Shoot, even the stock one I have others sound good on, but I don't. It's not the mics fault lol. Guess I like my condenser mics.

The MC50 and 60 are desk mics or no? I know they make some great mics. Not downing them one bit. Shoot, even the stock one I have others sound good on, but I don't. It's not the mics fault lol. Guess I like my condenser mics.

Yeah, they are desk mics. I think the 60 added up/down buttons and a switchable mic preamp to match up with the 430, 440, and the rest of the line. I've talked to guys on hybrids running the 50 and they sound great.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/mics/mc50.html
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/mics/0368.html

Brett

Reactions: 222DBFL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.