• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

KLV1000

Man... it is hard getting use to the noise the cooling fan on the KLV1000 makes when I key up :( . I might have to buy a noise cancelling mic to use with it. The bad thing about it is... it is not practical to move the KLV away from me because It needs to be retuned whenever you change channels.

Does anyone else find the cooling fan noise annoying on key up :?: :?: How did you get around the fan noise :?: or am I just picky??

But all in all I still like this amp. :LOL:

Once you tune it you don't need to play with it... I got a nice long jumper and moved it down to the bottom of my radio table... And my chair sits off to the side... No problem at all with a power mic...

You can try a good Astatic noise cancelling mic if people are complaining of the wind noise.

How is the amp doing... Is it swinging with good loud audio??

High Miler said:
Once you tune it you don't need to play with it... I got a nice long jumper and moved it down to the bottom of my radio table... And my chair sits off to the side... No problem at all with a power mic...

You can try a good Astatic noise cancelling mic if people are complaining of the wind noise.

How is the amp doing... Is it swinging with good loud audio??
I am going to move it since I found out I don't realy have to tune it when I change channels. All in all I love this tube amp except for the spool up of the cooling fan when I key up. Nice and clean, good audio reports, I can bucket mouth and she runs luke warm, love the different power level switches on HI 1 low I dead key about 250watts and swing to a little under 500 watts. In HI2 HI I am seeing a little under 1000 watts on my Workman meter. No problems so far...

Good deal... If you have any other questions or concerns on the KLV1000 please let me know... I'm no expert but went through a great deal of learning experience with this particular unit...

If I can help will be glad too... 8)

Reactions: Buckshot118
Anytime.... I know what a pain in the backside this thing was to get figured out.

If you need any tube resources let me know... I have 2 I deal with... They are both great on customer service.

You guys like this amp alot? I am thinking of getting the KLV400 tube base amp.

But if I can sell some things off I`ll get the 1000 instead. :)

AP

Yup... Everyone thinks you have to drive the heck out of them.. All you need is just a 'bit.... Let that driver tube do the work...

Mine works wonderfully and the only guy to beat me in the area as far as signal is one that is running a Pair of 8877's...

I need to get a 3cx3000a7 going to match him... A 3cx10000a7 to throttle him!

Dave I have the mod I can give it to you I have all the KLV mods. And a question for those who run the KLV 1000 do they sound good on SSB?? I was hearing they sound scratchy on SSB is this true?? I was looking at the 1000P high drive for HF use but wanted a little more info. Are you guys running the 1000 or 1000P??

Last edited:
the 1000 and 1000p's i have heared sounded ok on ssb, a few locals have them, one of them too local for comfort 80 yards antenna to antenna,
its the kl550 base amps that sound crappy on ssb because the bias supply is only turned on after a certain drive level causing distortion, the amp is in class C for a portion of your ssb transmission, easilly fixed but they sound bad as you buy them from the shop.

Bob85, any chance you could post the 550 fix? I have one that sounds like shite on SSB. I use it for AM/FM only right now, but I would love to get it working nice on SSB.

i took a couple of pics when i first bodged the only variable i had to hand in there to test the idea, after i proved it worked i soldered the variable in properly and used it like that for a couple of month, right now its stripped again while i fit regulators for the keying and biasing + power supply mods,

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...X/P1010306.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...X/P1010312.jpg

measure the dc voltage either on the wire loop of the bias choke or at the back of the input transformer, you will see on ssb there is no .6v untill you have sufficient drive on to turn the bias circuit on, fitting the variable as in the pic forms a potential divider feeding the base of the bias switching transistor which lets you set how much rf is needed to turn the bias supply on,

in stock form the keying transistor has to be turned on pretty hard before the bias is turned on which results in the relay pulling in way before the bias is switched on and that scratchy audio,

i only had a 10k variable handy so i tried it, i adjusted the bias untill it just turned off in rx then started at 100mw drive and increased it untill the relay pulled in at the same time watching the bias voltage to make sure it was comming on as the relay activated, i finally set it so the bias voltage starts comming up just before the relay activates,
as it pulls in the bias hits .69volts then starts backing down as drive is increased to just under .6v at full drive,
setup like that with no bias regulation its overbiased at very low drive levels and a little underbiased at full drive but it works and cures the ssb distortion,

a smaller value variable resistor will give better resolution of adjustment, just make sure you set it right so that the bias only turns on as the relay pulls over,

another thing worth checking that effects the bias level is supply voltage, i have 30.5v off load and 25.5v at 300w fm, the big drop in volts and ripple on the unregulated supply are not a good supply for an unregulated bias circuit,
if you have more than 30.5v offload i would be very carefull you dont have too much bias volts at very low drive levels, if you have higher beta transistors than me or higher supply volts you will need a 3 terminal regulator adding.
with the regulator i can set it so that its neither over biased nor underbiased across its input drive level range.

hope this helps... __________________

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.