• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

KNOCKOFF MEGGAWATT

I just got finished testing an amp and I had to use the 700 Meggawatt power supply and I did not find the fan noise to be unacceptable at all. I think some of the knock offs are noisy with the fan and electrically. I have one of those knock offs too and the fan is louder.

I just got finished testing an amp and I had to use the 700 Meggawatt power supply and I did not find the fan noise to be unacceptable at all. I think some of the knock offs are noisy with the fan and electrically. I have one of those knock offs too and the fan is louder.

possibly i just got a bad one. ill look around for a better fan.

Might just need to be oiled jon666. The fan that is. Pull it and slowly pull the taped logo off and you'll see where you can place a couple drops of oil. This should help quiet it down if it's indeed too loud, which might truly be the case. Some just are used to having things cranked up so much that everything gets picked up by the mic. I run a seperate small fan at the back of my Icom 746 as well as the power supply being just under my desk within a couple of feet of my radio and I have never been told I have any fan noise. Also I at one time ran my TNT 600hd and optima mk3 right on the desk top within a foot or 2 to my mic and the fan on the 600hd is rather large, still no mention of any noise from anyone.
But try the oil trick before you just put the 50a supply away and not use it. My local pal has one and he has never had noise issues either. His is placed at his feet which is about 3-4 ft from where he sits and talks. Just some food for thought. Might work. Might not. Worth a try though!! JMHO.

Note that the real company name is spelled "MegaWatt". It has only one letter "g", and no space between the first "a" and the capital "W". If your power supply's label reads "Meggawatt", with two g's and no capitalized "W", it's quite likely a POS.

Reactions: 222DBFL
They are a site sponsor, Megawatt that is. Good CS, and a darn good PS for the money. JMO.

Sorry for the misspelling Beetle. I do own the S400-12, I just haven't looked at it in a long time. Plug it in and go is all I do. And occasionally clean and oil the fan. Thanks for correcting my bad spelling!!

Take a look at the picture in post #4. "MegaWatt". Not "Megawatt". The "W" is capitalized.
I guarantee the power supply in post #4 is the real deal. I ordered it directly from John Marles personally. I have been in contact with John for years.
Some of us just don't pay enough attention to our spelling. I did the double "GG" thing myself.

If a power supply says MegaWatt on it its real. MegaWatt is a registered trademark.The use of the name MegaWatt on any power supply would result in legal action. The clones are the ones that look the same but have funky or no names at all on them.

Been recommending these to as many people as I can as I feel they are a great supply and well worth the money!! Keep up the good work MegaWatt!! Mine is still working like the day I bought it. And it has never had an issue. Just pull the fan every so often and blow out the dust snd oil the fan. Still runs like new. Thanks for a great product that won't break the bank!!! (y)(y)

Been recommending these to as many people as I can as I feel they are a great supply and well worth the money!! Keep up the good work MegaWatt!! Mine is still working like the day I bought it. And it has never had an issue. Just pull the fan every so often and blow out the dust snd oil the fan. Still runs like new. Thanks for a great product that won't break the bank!!! (y)(y)
Well thank you. All the new units now come with sealed double ball bearing fans to fight the dust problems. The power supplies are the same price as with the older fans. Its still a good idea to blow dust off the fan though so they don't go out of balance.

Reactions: camaro1 and 222DBFL
Keeping the fan blades clean can make a big difference in the amount of noise it makes as well as allows more air to be moved too. Blowers are even more critical of that than fans are.

it is brand new . took out of the box. hooked it up fan was driving me crazy. so back in the box it went.
You probably got a bad fan, sorry about that. If you can send it to me I can analyze it and complain to the manufacturer of the fan in case more turn out bad. Did I send you another fan? If its the 50 amp power supply then yes, it has a powerful fan that is louder than the S-400-12s. That's just the nature of the beast.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?