• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Larsen NMO-27-C testamonials?

I've been thinking of trying one of these. Just can't decide if I want to mount in on my Neons roof or trunk.

Center of the roof is always the best place for the best results in 360 degree signal patern. Thats where I always put my antennas. Some people dont like the looks or height of it but I guess it depends how serious your are about radio and if you can deal with driving a mobile beam with the antenna on the trunk lid and you can just turn and aim your car in the direction you want to talk because thats where the majority of your groundplane is. LOL!!

I'm actually testing out a NMO midland 11 meter antenna I found at a garage sale right now.

Tuned pretty well and I've had no problem making contacts from a fender mount location with 50 watts.

Lowest SWR I got on the fender mount was 1.1 and I did notice that it creeps up at highway speeds as the whip bends but otherwise the NMO antennas can work quite well.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
What's the whip length on the Midland?

Is it an old timer antenna?

I think it was around 49" or so but I had to cut it down quite a bit during tuning. I took a good 3 inches off.

Doesn't look to bad actually and the performance surprised me. I definitely would run any power through it. Rated for 300 watts but I bet anything close to 100 and it will start to get warm.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
So for some reason I like to wake up dead threads hahaha. I'm currently running the Stryker sra-10mm mag mounted on my Durango and let me tell this antenna is an excellent one but the problem for me is it's size, thing is huge and too tall for my likings. Another thing is it's kind of like going from a temporary tattoo to an actual tattoo gun tattoo. I'm wanting to make it permanent and install an Nmo mount through the roof. So I've got the mount hardware alone coming as I have a spool of 8x and 259's so if don't need the coax and it's probably not a quality coax anyway that comes with them. So for a few days I've been researching nmo antennas for 11 meters and although there are a few there isn't really that many out there. The antenna in this area thread is upon one of the ones I'm looking at right now. So it's the Larsen nmo27, browning br-140, tram 1140, and Laird technologies c27. Now I see the Laird and browning look almost identical going off of the stock photos I find so it's hard to determine. That's when I come here to see if any of you fine folks have experience with any of these antennas and what you can tell me about them and help me decide. To finish up, I'll be using this antenna with my anytone at-6666 mainly on am (watt ratings aren't crucial for my purpose) but occasionally on ssb because I use my base 6666 for ssb. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Last summer I installed a couple of the browning flavors of this antenna on a couple of my buddies farm trucks. They tuned up nicely after a little cutting. He just runs a couple peaked cobra 29s.. he is pleased so far. He wanted to go with Wilsons or Sirios for a little better performance but he didn't want to hit the pole barn pulling in and out. I had a couple nmo permanent mounts laying around... so we decided on these. Seem to work fine for what he's doing around the farm.

Thanks guys. Decisions decisions, it looks almost identical to the browning and the Laird but the cost is a little higher. Maybe someone who has used the others will chime in.

If you're going to stay below about 200 watts, the Larsen is a good choice for performance (in it's size) and dependability. I installed many of them for Motorola when low band was king and those antennas were durable. You'll never see rust under the plastic cover or poor solder connections with a Larsen. I'm fairly sure the weak link with power handling is RF heating of the loading coil rather than the shunt capacitor found inside the K-40. It should give some warning with heat before it fails unlike the K-40 cap flash-over and short.

The Larsen base coils and whips can be Frankensteined in different configurations. I'd have to look, but I have a combination that closely matches Wilson 1000 performance, or slightly better. I have a similar conconctions for 10/11 meters. The differing combos give a little more bandwidth than specific monoband units. I'm running a Wilson 1000 now, cause running more juice than the Larsen wants, but they are a great antenna. They look nice, too.

The Larsen base coils and whips can be Frankensteined in different configurations. I'd have to look, but I have a combination that closely matches Wilson 1000 performance, or slightly better. I have a similar conconctions for 10/11 meters. The differing combos give a little more bandwidth than specific monoband units. I'm running a Wilson 1000 now, cause running more juice than the Larsen wants, but they are a great antenna. They look nice, too.
Well, that's what I've got on order now. Once it's here it'll be hole drilling time. I'm not sure whether I should use a step drill bit, whole punch or order that expensive antenna mount hole bit from laird. Drilling the roof makes me nervous. I'm curious to know what the preferred method is for the masses here on the forum?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.