• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Learning CW, what method?

Consider signing up for the "CW Academy" sponsored by CWOps.

Here is the link. https://cwops.org/cw-academy/

This is a structured learning environment taught by veteran CW operators.

Not sure where you live, but maybe you can attend a west coast time zone class after work.

No short cuts for learning CW unfortunately.

Reactions: Rwb
Consider signing up for the "CW Academy" sponsored by CWOps.

Here is the link. https://cwops.org/cw-academy/

This is a structured learning environment taught by veteran CW operators.

Not sure where you live, but maybe you can attend a west coast time zone class after work.

No short cuts for learning CW unfortunately.
Considered it but due to my work schedule it is not good.
Has anyone heard good or bad about LICW Club??

Reactions: Rwb
Best thing to have is a Morse tutor from MFJ. It's the size of a pack of cigarettes. Can be taken anywhere. Listen to it whenever you can. In the car, on the pot.

The capabilities it has is perfect for learning.

Reactions: WECSOG and Rwb
Best thing to have is a Morse tutor from MFJ. It's the size of a pack of cigarettes. Can be taken anywhere. Listen to it whenever you can. In the car, on the pot.

The capabilities it has is perfect for learning.
I agree with this. And listen to it when you're doing other things. Try listening at 25-30 wpm so you can get used to hearing entire words.

Also, get on the Novice/Tech portion of 80/40/15 and work stations! That helps more than anything, and folks there are willing to QRS.

At 17 years old I took a class at a high school one day a week in the evening. We were told to bring in an old TV to tear apart to make the one tube xmitter. We would have to buy the receiver of sorts and the transmit Chrystal. While we were studying theory and working on learning soldering and theory. In the back ground was CW the letter was spoken and the following character was sent at 30 WPM. The voice "a" followed by dit dah at 30 WPM all the way through the alphabet over and over and over again. every night. Numbers and punctuation for a couple weeks after with alphabet. We were ask the last week if we were ready to pass the 5WPM code test. LOL we all looked around the room thinking yeh right. We all (19 of us) passed the 5WPM test. I then passed the 13 WPM test as did the rest. the instructors would NOT give the tech test only novice. The next year I got drafted and lost the 1 year novice license and interest. 1966 to 1968 in the Army As an avionics tech. I was dormant until 1995 and took the general test and became active again. I had sold my old faithful Howard receiver and gave away my transmitter.
Before the ham interest I started out with a Gonset CB then a Sonar "E" CB with KJI1400 call.
Remember S9 magazine? I had a portable call assigned to me also from them and a Fanon M?? 1 watt two ch portable.

Learning CW, what method worked for you??
I've been trying to learn for over a year and just can't get it, stuck at 8 characters. It would make easier for me doing CW while activating SOTA summits.

I used a program called CODE QUICK.& after only 8 days of 2 hours an evening I passed the 5 wpm Code with Straight Copy.I HATE CW so it was really difficult for me to learn it because CW gives me a terrible headache & I have not used it since passing the test about 15 years ago since I refuse to give myself a headache when I only use Phone on every band.I only passed the CW Test because I did not want the General Class License Given to me so I checked it off of my Bucket List & Never intended to use it at all.If you go to their website I believe they still use my feedback on their page.

SIX-SHOOTER
aka:W4KVW
aka:WRMX520

Reactions: Rwb and NZ8N
In the 80's I had Gordon Wests set of cassette tapes to listen to on the way to and from work.
Cecil Field Florida, lived one hour south, so listened to Gordon 2 hours a day five days a week.

Some where along SR21 is the set of Gordon's cassette tapes, threw the damn things out the window and to this day I still can not copy CW.

I'm sure our Pure Clean North Florida air helped with the process because we have good aire but not so much over in Duval County but here in Baker County all of our trees help keep it Clean.

SIX-SHOOTER
aka:W4KVW
aka:WRMX520

Reactions: Rwb and NZ8N
Here in Columbia county the county commisioners (crooks) allowed a foreign country to install and operate commercial chicken farm slap dab in the middle of residential neighborhood. SO we have this odor all year long and flies like we never had before.
12 each 500 foot long by 40 feet wide stinking chicken buildings.
south of you

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.