• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Learning CW, what method?

binrat

WDX Club Coordinator
Staff member
Nov 5, 2008
The Great White north
Learning CW, what method worked for you??
I've been trying to learn for over a year and just can't get it, stuck at 8 characters. It would make easier for me doing CW while activating SOTA summits.

Reactions: Rwb

What worked for me was listening to words, prosigns, Q-signals and abbreviations commonly used on CW. They all have a distinctive sound. It's best to listen at a higher speed; at least 13 wpm and preferably 20. Once you can recognize the common words (QTH is, name is, the rig is, etc.) you can catch those right away and just concentrate on the less common words.

I prefer the Koch method. Set character speed at no less than 13, but preferably 18wpm. That's just the speed that you tap each character.

MFJ makes practice oscillators that are great. They are size of a pack of cigarettes. It allows all sorts of customization. I think it's about the bast thing out there.

I prefer the Koch method. Set character speed at no less than 13, but preferably 18wpm. That's just the speed that you tap each character.

MFJ makes practice oscillators that are great. They are size of a pack of cigarettes. It allows all sorts of customization. I think it's about the bast thing out there.
Mud,
I have been using LCWO which is Koch method. Just can't get past a certain point.

Reactions: Rwb and WECSOG
I was using this app with good success. I learned how to receive the alphabet and send most of it....then I started slacking off and lost a lot of it. I think it would have been I winner if I had stuck with it.

Screenshot_20200507-170012_Settings.jpg

When I went to Navy Radioman school in '63 I had my modified AM/FM-plus-shortwave-bands radio. I never used headphones so I repurposed the jack and put together a little audio oscillator. Plenty of volume and adjustable pitch. Not iambic, but this was well before "iambic" was an everyday word except for poetry majors. I also took my Vibroplex and its carrying case. It all came in handy.

As for a "method" for learning, "learning" works best. No interruptions; just a solid hour each day, concentrating on code. Worked well for me, but I was 11 years old. What did I know? :D

In the 80's I had Gordon Wests set of cassette tapes to listen to on the way to and from work.
Cecil Field Florida, lived one hour south, so listened to Gordon 2 hours a day five days a week.

Some where along SR21 is the set of Gordon's cassette tapes, threw the damn things out the window and to this day I still can not copy CW.

Well it is good to know I am not alone in having a hard time with CW. That is what kept me from getting my license 30 years ago. I am glad they turned it into a learn it after you pass thing which it seems many do.

Reactions: Rwb and wavrider

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated