• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

LED ceiling light installation ... electrolytics! Yikes

Crimson Trace Green Laser rides atop my 14" barreled Mossberg Shockwave 12 gauge.

I probably shouldn't try lighting up road signs with it though. :unsure:

414148926.jpg

I've been thinking about replacing some overhead 4' fluorescent hummers with white LED's. After reading on this thread about them being harsh on one's eyes I'm having second thoughts. Might just toss the noisy fixtures and go with "soft yellow" fluorescent.

I haven't shot mine yet. Academy ran a sale on them a few months ago and it followed me home.

I have to find one of those little laser pointers to play w/ the cats ! They use to sell them all over the place in local Job Lot stores , now hard to find here . Wife gets concerned when I use her Sig P-238 w/ Laser to play w/ the cats ! IDK why ? No round chambered !:LOL: Ralph sent me that second vid a while back , guys , well kind of & Idiot ! Watch the vid's done by " Hicock " ( spelling ) That guy is awesome w/ one ! Ralph change those old " hummers " out , you will be amazed ! Cheap here $ 14.99 @ Job Lot .

Uh ... Nobody's getting it (except for Redbeards coffee pot). This is not about a lighting technology, it is about an item, in this case a light fixture, that once installed had a infinite lifespan. Now, with the introduction of an electrolytic, it has a limited lifespan. It is now a consumable item. Consumable meaning replacement is expected. Now, we are not only expected to replace the light bulb, but the fixture as well! Replacing a fixture is not considered an easily replaceable item. The bar keeps getting lower and lower for what is considered a consumable item.

Unless that Mossberg has an electrolytic in it somewhere that could prevent it from firing, lets try and get this derailed train back on track.

Most consumer products are swirling down this toilet.
I work for a major hardware chain and most of these products are now throw away.
China can build nice stuff but when you want them to build it cheap they can do that to.
And they can build cheap, really cheap.
When products are sold and returned defective they want it thrown in the trash because it costs 15 times what it is worth just to send it back.
Disposable.

Jeff

Uh ... Nobody's getting it (except for Redbeards coffee pot). This is not about a lighting technology, it is about an item, in this case a light fixture, that once installed had a infinite lifespan. Now, with the introduction of an electrolytic, it has a limited lifespan. It is now a consumable item. Consumable meaning replacement is expected. Now, we are not only expected to replace the light bulb, but the fixture as well! Replacing a fixture is not considered an easily replaceable item. The bar keeps getting lower and lower for what is considered a consumable item.

Unless that Mossberg has an electrolytic in it somewhere that could prevent it from firing, lets try and get this derailed train back on track.

Well to a point. Fluorescent light fixtures had a ballast to contend with that would burn out in a similar time frame to electrolytics. I replaced MANY ballasts in the office when I worked in an office environment.

Well to a point. Fluorescent light fixtures had a ballast to contend with that would burn out in a similar time frame to electrolytics. I replaced MANY ballasts in the office when I worked in an office environment.
OK, you are right as well with this, I was unaware and had not experienced this issue with my fluorescents. Knowing this, I guess replacing a couple of electrolytics would be a lot cheaper than ballasts. Most likely would just throw the LED fixture away. Seems like this kind of behavior has been going on for a long time in one way or another and I just discovered this with the current technology.

The cost of a new ballast has now exceeded the cost of a new fixture.
There are now led bulbs that will run off of 110 line voltage.
Take the ballast out, throw it away and run 110 to the bulb.
Done.
Might have to change the tombstone on the end of some fixtures.
Do a search for Ballast bypass led bulb replacements.

Jeff

Like the ones I bought for under cabinets? Have been scrutinizing the ones I bought that are about 18" long and wondering how to take it apart just to see inside ever since Klondike posted his first picture. They are thin and the led strip takes up most of the length.

These are actual T8 and T12 size bulbs that fit right into old fixtures after removing the ballast and extending the hot and neutral wires to the tombstone connectors at the end of the fixture.
I think what you are describing are led strip lights were there are small led chips lined up in a row on a plastic strip.
Jeff

Yes I get it. An incandescent worst will burn out. LED fixture has a lot more to fail with cheap components. But its advantages power saving wise are worth it. I'm more trusting of LED than CFL, I've seen some catastrophic failures in them, and here we use 240v, none of this lightweight 110v.

Got it now. Went over to friends shop after talking about these bulbs, his whole damned shop has them installed. Wow, bright as hell. Must be 8-10 units. The bulbs are smaller diameter but the same length. Says there is no ballast to fail. He's proud of them, sure lights things up, and save on power. Showed me a couple that had gone bad, and had been swapped out. Almost fragile test tube like.

Reactions: 357magnum

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.