• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

LED ceiling light installation ... electrolytics! Yikes

Crimson Trace Green Laser rides atop my 14" barreled Mossberg Shockwave 12 gauge.

I probably shouldn't try lighting up road signs with it though. :unsure:

414148926.jpg

I've been thinking about replacing some overhead 4' fluorescent hummers with white LED's. After reading on this thread about them being harsh on one's eyes I'm having second thoughts. Might just toss the noisy fixtures and go with "soft yellow" fluorescent.

I have them in all rooms. Overhead built-in. It’s only when it’s time to read and sit in one place I use incandescent. Same for kitchen. Food looks right under incandescent. Bedroom & table lamp, ditto.

Standard flickering fluorescent isnt your friend either.

Learning electronics is something that I've always felt that I should do; something that I wanted to do decades ago. Now, it is now a necessity to understand electronics because: cheap, plentiful electronics are cheaply mfr'd, they seem to break twice as often, I would rather fix something worthwhile than just toss it, I can fix stuff for others so that they don't have to toss it either.

All good reasons. Not to mention; can you imagine a Ham operator that doesn't know his way around a soldering iron?
Unthinkable!!!

Reactions: 357magnum
These are actual T8 and T12 size bulbs that fit right into old fixtures after removing the ballast and extending the hot and neutral wires to the tombstone connectors at the end of the fixture.
Jeff
The T8 tubes is what I replaced my 40 watt FL's with several years ago. I believe there are 300 led's inside each tube
The tubes are 15 watts each and much much brighter than the 40 watt FL's.
The wife likes them much better, especially in the kitchen........

Oh, one more thing - I made sure the led's were the "Cree" brand, which are made on the east coast.

Reactions: Slowmover
... Take the ballast out, throw it away and run 110 to the bulb.Jeff
This is probably the best route to go next time. Although, it would not be the cheapest. My LED fixtures were under $10/each whereas the bulbs would be much higher for a pair. But ... you will gain having the reliability of the fixture and retain the easily replace-ability of the lighting bulb.

Last edited:
Reactions: 357magnum

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.