• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Legal 10 meter amateur radios

So the majority believe that any radio can be used on the ham bands as long as they meat spectral purity levels. I see FCC lists but do not know who have made these lists up. Rangers, Connex, and Galaxys top the lists but several hams use these on the ham bands. I guess they are ok to use on the ham bands but not on the cb band. I noticed that some members mentioned the 2510 with a Chipswitch in them. This radio is on the list as well, but ok on 12 and 10 meters?

Correct. YOU, with your license, are responsible for your signal being properly clean and stable, within a band authorized for your license class and at a power level consistent with the license class, keeping in mind the requirement to use the minimum power necessary.

If someone tells you that your signal is of poor quality, YOU, with your license, are responsible for checking it out and fixing it.

To help clear up some confusion one one point, there is no FCC type acceptance on amatuer radio gear. If there were you could mod your 2 meter radio for out of band and use it on your local volunteer fire department freq. That is a big NO NO and will get your licensce jerk real fast.
Ed

I actually have heard of volunteer fire fighters doing just that. I wonder who makes up these lists. Is it ham radio operators or the FCC itself. Are they just trying to deter cbers from using 10 meter radios on cb?

So one can own one of these radios and use them on 10 meters if you are a tech class license holder or higher. But one can't purchase one of these radios in the US? I see them on ebay, yahoo, and several websites all the time.

Confusing to me. I guess it is legal for me to purchase the radio overseas?

I noticed that some members mentioned the 2510 with a Chipswitch in them. This radio is on the list as well, but ok on 12 and 10 meters?

Yes, with a Lic.
And there are even mods to use the Hr2510`s, Hr2600`s, Lincoln`s and other`s with transverters on 2 meters, 432, 1296 and 2304 MHz.
Have a Look here....

www.downeastmicrowave.com/journal.htm

You can convert a Cobra 148GTL and use it on SSB on 10Meters, or as a exciter for other bands as long as it is within a band authorized for your license class .......

Jeff

Correct. YOU, with your license, are responsible for your signal being properly clean and stable, within a band authorized for your license class and at a power level consistent with the license class, keeping in mind the requirement to use the minimum power necessary.

If someone tells you that your signal is of poor quality, YOU, with your license, are responsible for checking it out and fixing it.

You nailed it.

Jeff

I certainly don't mean to deter anyone from buying or purchase a certain radio. I am just interested in the truth. I don't work for the FCC or the federal government. I just don't understand part 97.

It sounds like I can own and use these 10 meter radios on 10 meters in the US as long as they meat certain spectral purity requirements. I am not supposed to purchase them in this country althought we all realize this is being done everyday.

I wonder if the big ham companies have ever thought about manufacturing a 10 meter radio for all modes and with codes for the repeaters. Maybe they did in the past and I wasn't aware.

cbshack said:
I wonder if the big ham companies have ever thought about manufacturing a 10 meter radio for all modes and with codes for the repeaters. Maybe they did in the past and I wasn't aware.

On the other hand, I have always wondered why Ranger dont make a true ham radio.

I mean have you ever looked on the inside of a 2995DX ?

You could put a big block chevy in one :D

With all that room they should build a nice rig,, 160-6 meter

Many people have made that suggestion answer was cost to design and market it was too much of an investment. They spend very little on current radios and make large profit.

cbshack said:
I actually have heard of volunteer fire fighters doing just that. I wonder who makes up these lists. Is it ham radio operators or the FCC itself. Are they just trying to deter cbers from using 10 meter radios on cb?

So one can own one of these radios and use them on 10 meters if you are a tech class license holder or higher. But one can't purchase one of these radios in the US? I see them on ebay, yahoo, and several websites all the time.

Confusing to me. I guess it is legal for me to purchase the radio overseas?

A major city (Boston?) got a large FINE from FCC for doing exactly THAT! They bought and modified 2 Meter radios for their fire department. Big NO NO!!

You may NOT use the "export" radios on CB channels. Period! You MAY use the "export" radio on the Amateur bands within the terms of your license.

CWM

I wonder how the fcc found out?

Also if these radios show up on these lists not to market in the US, I assume one can legally buy them outside of the US but in the US is illegal?

Again I am not sure who makes these lists up.

Justin D. are you out there? Any comments?

How about Frank R.? Any comments?

Funny. I bought my Cobra 150 from amazon.com--As I understand it, illegal for them, legal for me (General class Ham, I can use it on 10 meters.)

But I bought my Lincoln from Bandercom in Finland--Legal for them, illegal for me, because I was the importer? And yet legal for me to use now that I've gotten away with importing it? (Again, I'm talking about using it on Ham bands with my General class ticket.)

Weird.

Highlander',
Would it in fact be illegal for you to have bought a radio in Finland and then import it into the country? Since it was for your own, legal, use, I honestly don't see where the problem would be, that's why I'm asking.
- 'Doc

(Recently bought something out of country, that was available here. Sort of a large difference in prices though, exact same thing. Found out why that difference in prices when I had to pay 'duty' on the thing - lol! Next time, I'll let 'them' handle that part and just buy it here.)

W5LZ said:
(Recently bought something out of country, that was available here. Sort of a large difference in prices though, exact same thing. Found out why that difference in prices when I had to pay 'duty' on the thing - lol! Next time, I'll let 'them' handle that part and just buy it here.)

Ain't that a bugger Doc? The old "gotcha" routine. Things look good until the duties are added up. Thank God we do not have to pay duty on any amateur radio products that we purchase out of country up here. We just get nailed by customs for the sales tax we would have had to pay if we bought it here. :evil:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.