• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Legal 10 meter amateur radios

My understanding is that you could use any of those radios on the amateur band. I do not see any restrictions on equipment listed in Part 97 rules, other than the requirement for transmitter power output & emissions standards.

The issue of the 10 meter radios seems to be more with the sale of these radios, rather than using them on the amateur 10 meter band. Since they are considered to be targeted for CB use, the FCC considers them non-compliant CB radios, and therefore does not approve their sale in the US, however, I see no rule restricting you from using it on the 10 meter band.

I have heard many people using RCI radios, 2510's and the like.
Usually, people would stay away from the "channelized" type of 10 meter radio, like the Connex or Galaxy style radios that look just like a 40 channel CB. And of course, you will be very "popular" if you used roger beep and echo on the ham bands. :p

In the end, I have said many times that I think these radios (2590, 2510, Magnum 257, etc) have a place in 10 meter amateur operation, especially in mobile applications. Not everyone wants to put a $1000 radio in their vehicle to operate 10m local or DX stations.

If you have your ticket, you can run just about anything, heck you can even build it if you want!
As long as you stay within the bands you are allowed for your Lic, within your power limits, etc you are fine, I have talked to more than a few guys on Ten Meters that are running both exports like the 2950/2970/Hr2510/Hr2600/Lincoln/AR3500, and converted CB SSB Radios, Cobra 148/146/Washington/Uniden radios.

The issue of the 10 meter radios seems to be more with the sale of these radios, rather than using them on the amateur 10 meter band

I agree, they can not be offered fo sale in the US by a retail Seller as a CB Radio, And I Have never seen a rule restricting you from using it on the 10 meter band if you have a ticket.

In the end, I have said many times that I think these radios (2590, 2510, Magnum 257, etc) have a place in 10 meter amateur operation, especially in mobile applications. Not everyone wants to put a $1000 radio in their vehicle to operate 10m local or DX stations.

Well said! For Many guys that are now getting into the hobby, Ten Meters is a HF band that Has lots of room, SSB Phone, and more.
If A guy is on a budget, and wants to get on the Band, these radios offer a lot of bang for the buck.
And After you disconnect the Echo and Roger Beep buttons, you can use them for other fuctions....LOL!
:D

Jeff

While all that you've said is true, the 'biggy' is that if it's produced commercially for sale, then it has to meet FCC 'type acceptance'. If an individual wants to make/build something, or convert something to amateur use, he can (she can too). But if an individual makes/converts over 'so many' per year, then he/she is considered to be doing it commercially and has to meet the type acceptance thingy.
Why has the recent sale of '10 Meter' radios catch a fine? Cuz they weren't type accepted for amateur service. It would have raised the cost maybe a dollar or two per radio, whooop-peee, they sure saved money didn't they? (Not to mention the guy that got fined.)
As far as the '$1000' Radio in a mobile, I'd have to agree with you if that radio is a single band radio. Most of the commercial ham radios are what, 6 banded? As in $167 per band. As cheap as almost any CB radio with the same capability that I know of. Sort of justifiable if you try hard enough - lol.
- 'Doc

They Have to have 'type acceptance' to be sold as CB radios, there is no rule that says a ten meter rig for amateur use has to have 'type acceptance' , not in any rule book I have seen the FCC publish to date.
You are getting the Amplifier and Radio rules crossed up.
There are limits on how many Amps can be modded in one year for each band or built for Evaluation prior to submiting one for Compliance testing.
As Far as the Export Radios go...
((according to the rules))
They can not be offered for SALE AS A CB IN THE USA.
They are not to be used for `CB` IN THE USA.
Nowere can I find anything that prohibits there use on Ten( or any other band) as long as you have a valid Lic and stay in your allotted Freqs.
Legal as Ice Cream to use a 2510, or a 2950, Or a 2600 or a 2970 or a AR3500, or A modified Cobra radio....
Doc If you can find the rule in Part 97 that prohibits the use on Amateur Radio bands, Let me know.
Here is the Link to Part 97

www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/news/part97/onepage.html

I have been running a Hr2510 on Ten Meters on and off for years, before that I talked on Ten with a TRC-448 SSB CB Radio that was re-rocked for ten meters, And A TX 100 Amp, no pink slips in my mail box.

Jeff

Jeff,
I couldn't find anything about the type acceptance pertaining to radios in Part 97. I do remember seeing something about it, it pertained to commercial equipment, just can't remember where it was. I'll look though.
There are requirements for any transmitter in Part 97 but I have no idea if the radios in question meet that or not, probably. Oh well.
- 'Doc

One can find a list on the fcc website for Ranger, Connex, Galaxy, Superstar, Uniden, and the like. I always thought that one could use these radios on the 10 meter band with the correct license. I thought they fell under part 97. I guess they are illegal to use and convert on the cb band but are sold like this everyday. Just don't get caught. I also don't understand the fcc and them turning a blind eye towards type accepted ham equipment like kenwood, icom. yaesu, alinco, tentec, sgc, and the like being easy to convert to 11 meters.

I understand non licensed users finding themselves on 28 megs or above but I did not think they cared that much about freeband.

I have noticed that the Cobras, some Magnums, Northpoints, and Strykers have not made it on the fcc list. I wonder why?

Just some thoughts. Not trying to bash anybody or any business. I just don't understand the fcc. Maybe I should say I don't understand the federal government.....

The list was supposed to have been updated, and I have seen citations and fines to those who sold those radios.
If it has "bands" of "channels", has a chrome face, may or may not have roger beep and echo, you can just about be certain it is an I L L E G A L radio targeted to the CB market. :D

CWM

As long as a piece of equipment meets the FCC spectral purity standards and you are licensed to use the amateur frequency where you are transmitting, it matters not from whence the radio came; it is legal to use. Also, it does not matter what the power output capability of the equipment is, as long as you do not exceed the power levels for your frequency and license class and also, only use as much power as need to do the job.

Rich

they are illegal to operate, purchase, or sell in the united states. any radio that you own is considered operating, if its in a box in the back of the closet it is considered operating. this same rule applied to amplifiers. they dont have to be hooked up to be considered in use.

this is what i get from the rules when i read them last night. i emailed the fcc address they game me about illegal radios but havent heard back from them. i allow see where they can be legal (like above post) if they are tested by the fcc or 3rd party lab for purity. (no exports are currently tested and approved that i can see).

if the radio has been tested and approved but can (1 of these 2)

1. be easily modifed by simple means to operate on the cb band

2. change frequencys by use of a knob or switch

if you cant own it you cant use it.

mars cap laws are a grey area now. regardless you need a permit to transmit (reception is ok)

mars mods- ok because they are primarily vhf or hf that is far away from the good old cb band. (not allowed to open up the cb band)

cap- all radios need to be nita qualified now (only a handfull of radios are and they are all brand new) must be permited and legal to recieve? (this is basically what it says)

so its ok to have mars opened up as long as you dont transmit and it doesnt open the cb band. cap mods can only be done if you are licenced and have one of the 5 or 6 radios now legal to use in the narrow bandwith requirments set forth by the nita.

they can recieve on the cb band as long as they use a dial to change frequencys.

they are illegal to operate

I have yet to see anyone post were in Part 97 it says that.
Not Part 95.
Remember we are talking about Ten Meters, NOT CB.
Were in any FCC regulation does it say A Lic Amateur can not own a export?
They can not be offered for Sale as a CB.
You can not use it to talk on the CB Band.
CB Radios must be Type Accepted.
Modfied Cb`s have been used on Ten Meters for years, as soon as you Convert the Cb to operate on Ten meters, it is no longer a "type accepted" Radio! And it is Legal to do so.
It all goes out the window when you have a Lic, and use it on ten meters, and stay within the rules.
You can use Old Military Radios to Talk on Ten meters.
You can convert Comerical Radios to Talk on the Ham Bands
This is why Home Brew Radios are allowed, you can modify your toaster to talk on ten if you want, and it meets the standards when you get done.
If you have to put A low pass filter on your toaster to make it meet the Standards, thats fine.
If you build a Ten Meter radio, you sure do not need to send it to the FCC for Approval before you use it.
If you are operating a spark-gap transmiter, splatering all over hell, you might get a letter telling you to do what ever it takes to clean it up.

Good radio pratice mandates running a clean station.

Remember This Question is about Ten Meter Radio operation, Not CB`s

Jeff

Jeff,
An amateur can use any radio on the amateur bands as long as it meets spectral purity requirements. Doesn't matter if it's home-made, or commercially made. So in that respect you're correct.
The problem comes in with commercially made radios sold for a specific purpose/service. The manufacturor has to meet type acceptance for the service the radio is made for, and must limit the use of that radio to the service it's made for. There are exception, but they are rigidly controled (MARS/CAP coverage). This isn't limited to just transmitters but also includes receivers that cover certain bands (Cell phones for instance. Haven't heard of any other exclusions but also haven't made a point of finding out.).
If you are not licensed for a particular service then you'd better not be caught transmitting there. The only exclusion to that is in a bonified emergency, when anything goes if it works. That doesn't include the 'emergency' of forgetting the grocery list, you know?
If a commercially made radio can be easily modified to cover bands it shouldn't be used on, it isn't type accepted. Doesn't mean an amateur can't use it, just that it can't be sold (or bought) in the USA.
Without getting into a big deal about converting a CB radio, or buying an 'export' radio here, I think that pretty well covers it. Doesn't it?
- 'Doc

An amateur can use any radio on the amateur bands as long as it meets spectral purity requirements

Yes, 100% Agreement.

Doesn't mean an amateur can't use it, just that it can't be sold (or bought) in the USA.
Without getting into a big deal about converting a CB radio, or buying an 'export' radio here, I think that pretty well covers it. Doesn't it?
- 'Doc

Yes.

Jeff

the rules are different in the uk,
sales of 10mtr radios were legalised years ago,
we can legally buy them and use them on ham bands even delta/omegaforces but not on cb bands,
there was a time when some shops would not sell a ham set unless you produced your licence but thats all changed, trade aint good enough for them to pick and choose their customers any more,
some of the dealers will sell you any radio you like say a ts2000 and open the tx up for full coverage for a small charge regardless of you having your ticket or not they dont even ask,
its not illegal to own the radios just illegal to use them unless you are licenced,
opening the tx up is a gray area, im not sure about the legalities of that,
the same applys to amplifiers too, even ebay dont mind what amps we sell,
i think the government realised they could never stop the underground sale of equipment so they went the route of tax collector,
hams have been modding cb's for 10 and 12mtrs since at least the late 70's, providing you maintain acceptable spectral purity your good to go,
only m3 foundation licence holders are legally required to use type accepted equipment no homebrewing,

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.