• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

legal question, jamming

it is not in the normal ham bands. I am assuming the law still applies. this is why I want the exact wording. (Not the summery I learned for the test.)

Title 47 – Part 97
Subpart A—General Provisions

§ 97.101 General standards.
(a) In all respects not specifically covered by FCC Rules each amateur station must be operated in accordance with good engineering
and good amateur practice.
(b) Each station licensee and each control operator must cooperate in selecting transmitting channels and in making the most effective
use of the amateur service frequencies. No frequency will be assigned for the exclusive use of any station.
(c) At all times and on all frequencies, each control operator must give priority to stations providing emergency communications, except
to stations transmitting communications for training drills and tests in RACES.
(d) No amateur operator shall willfully or maliciously interfere with or cause interference to any radio communication or signal.

Full Text can be found here:
http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Regulatory/Part%2097%20-%2004-28-2011.pdf

Jeff

Jamming a signal is illegal. Period. Line "D" of Jeff's quote of part 97 states that as jamming is considered malicious interference. If the signals you want to jam are unlicensed operators on the ham bands there is nothing illegal about two licensed operators carrying on a conversion on the same frequency as the unlicensed station however.After all you are just trying to carry on a QSO while being interfered with by an unlicensed station that has no right to be there and thus has no protection against interference. Just remember jamming is illegal but talking over an unlicensed station is not.

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

FCC: Wireless Services: Cellular Services: Operations: Blocking & Jamming

Key up and see what happens, CMODE!

If you are a "Jammer" you will end up in the "Slammer" if you screw with the wrong frequency.

It is illegal.

Period.

(Of course you can always operate under the assumption that nothing is illegal or immoral until you get caught) :D

The operation of transmitters designed to jam or block wireless communications is a violation of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended ("Act"). See 47 U.S.C. Sections 301, 302a, 333. The Act prohibits any person from willfully or maliciously interfering with the radio communications of any station licensed or authorized under the Act or operated by the U.S. government. 47 U.S.C. Section 333. The manufacture, importation, sale or offer for sale, including advertising, of devices designed to block or jam wireless transmissions is prohibited. 47 U.S.C. Section 302a(b). Parties in violation of these provisions may be subject to the penalties set out in 47 U.S.C. Sections 501-510. Fines for a first offense can range as high as $11,000 for each violation or imprisonment for up to one year, and the device used may also be seized and forfeited to the U.S. government.

Thank you, that is what I needed.

Designed for Jamming, thats the key Phrase. None of my Amateur gear was designed for Jamming so that would be a tough one to prosecute.

When you talk about Jamming there are way too many variables. Is the Jamming on Amateur Radio bands, is it a licensed or unlicensed station, just way too many variables.

My guess is that most jamming you hear on the Amateur bands is being committed by a licensed Amateur who has an axe to grind with one of the stations he or she is jamming. Check out 14.313 it goes on there all the time and some of the Jammers are actually known but nothing happens. If you are in the NorthEast tune in to 3.842 at 9pm and listen to the jamming of the Marconi Net. Its apparent many have an axe to grind with the net control, because when he isn't on the air no jamming occurs.

You also need to know the difference between USC and CFR, the amateur radio rules are just that, rules that we should all be following. However they aren't criminal offenses and you wont be incarcerated regardless of what you may hear to the contrary. Just do a google search lots of good info on the differences.

As to FCC Enforcement against Jammers, good luck with that. Money is the driving force and with large cut backs it will only get worse.

Anyway my 2 cents worth, if its even worth that ..

Jamming just does not happen on CB as W1MSG stated.

It is many other places also. Regulations? Hammies are supposed to be self policing as the FEDS do not have the funds to really do anything.

Another thing to think about is the JAMMER may or may not fall under our FEDS rules and regulations. different countries have different rules and regulations.

Not saying there is nothing you can do about a "Jammer", but it will be a long up hill climb before anything gets accomplished.

Besides, it is just a radio, if it gets you upset or frustrated, turn it off and go find something else to do.

Two solar cycle's ago I got upset about a Jammer on the free band call freq. I turned the radio off. Took me over 15 years to turn it back on again

When I finally did turn it on it was with a license from the FEDS, thinking different type of operators on the licensed frequencies so no jammers. I was wrong.. Life is to short to let something as trivial as a radio jammer upset any one's day.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.