• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Lightening L2 Quad

But I am happy to have low swr's and good rejection. The forward gain seems a little better than the omni I had up. Maybe 1/2 to 1 S unit better.

IMO, the 2 element beam is not going to show a huge difference in gain. I haven't modeled the 2 element L2, but I owned a Maco Y-Quad back in the days...and I was not impressed at all vs. my vertical mono-pole CB antennas.

This picture might explain why the black wire ends up being longer at the brass stubs.

I see the black wire would be just hanging out a little at the open ends near the driven elements. I also see the white wire has to run from the plastic support bracket over to the radiator wire, and is a couple of inches longer. So, the two wires (white and black) can't be the same lengths with this difference and both fit the space. I would have set the black wire where it needs to be on the brass rod, and just extended the black wire out beyond the bracket as far as necessary and let it hang. What secures the black wire at the very end in the plastic support?

Also at every clamp holding the plastic insulator, you have to wrap the FB with a decent amount of electrical tape or the clamp won't grip the rods

Do you mean the hose clamps won't grip the Fiberglass? I'm not surprised at that.

A good buddy had a L8 up about 75 mile from me, and he had to redesign all the small parts, change the wires that frequently broke, replaced all the junk hardware in the kit, and replace the FG driven element rods that were much stiffer. He had it up for about 2 years and got tired of it still breaking.

Last edited:
At one time in the past, I raved about this design and without ever owning one. I've just heard too many bad stories...mostly that it did not hold up long.

IMO, the 2 element beam is not going to show a huge difference in gain. I haven't modeled the 2 element L2, but I owned a Maco Y-Quad back in the days...and I was not impressed at all vs. my vertical mono-pole CB antennas.

I see what you mean. I think the Y Quad would be less gain than the L2.

I see the black wire would be just hanging out a little at the open ends near the driven elements. I also see the white wire has to run from the plastic support bracket over to the radiator wire, and is a couple of inches longer. So, the two wires (white and black) can't be the same lengths with this difference and both fit the space. I would have set the black wire where it needs to be on the brass rod, and just extended the black wire out beyond the bracket as far as necessary and let it hang. What secures the black wire at the very end in the plastic support?

yes they cant' fit it in the same space so I compensated by skewing the plastic. The end of the black wire comes a crimped stub to keep it from coming out of the plastic. At that point I added tape to make it stick out even further to try and help with the length difference between the white and black.

Do you mean the hose clamps won't grip the Fiberglass? I'm not surprised at that.

No the hose clamps were used where the FG rods go in the aluminum. Taping around the FG is suggested in the manual where the small plastic clamps hold the square plastic insulators. I didn't feel they were sturdy and added a wrap of tape around the arm of the insulator. I'll attach a picture below.

A good buddy had a L8 up about 75 mile from me, and he had to redesign all the small parts, change the wires that frequently broke, replaced all the junk hardware in the kit, and replace the FG driven element rods that were much stiffer. He had it up for about 2 years and got tired of it still breaking.

Attachments

• TAPE WRAP.jpg
    TAPE WRAP.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Wow that is interesting what the black wire does. Or maybe doesn't do, it doesn't appear to be connected to anything. Maybe it just needs to be parallel to the white wire as part of the impedance matching?

Wow that is interesting what the black wire does. Or maybe doesn't do, it doesn't appear to be connected to anything. Maybe it just needs to be parallel to the white wire as part of the impedance matching?

I think that is what it is. Enjoying the rejection on this antenna. I will be going over my buddies today to get it on his roof.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Got this Quad today. The manual leaves a lot to the imagination. Very poor print quality with dark grainy pictures.

This ought to be fun. I need an actual picture. The matching sections look really busy. Instructions as is, are little help.

Hindsight being 20/20 I'd have went with a CUBEX QUAD if I was set on having a Quad.They make great antennas & they are very reasonable in price in my opinion. They also have great customer service.

SIX-SHOOTER

Well, I'm storing this antenna in my attic. Gonna wait to put it up when I get a place in the country. I just ordered the 2 element quad from Cubex. Lol, it's going to be less of a headache to assemble it. I won't have dual polarity, but my intentions are only to use it locally anyways, so no need for horizontal. Said it will ship out in a week.

One thing rattling in my brain.... Wonder about cutting the L2 for 6 meters.

When I get over my shoulder surgery & get my antenna man up the tower I'll be having my 8 element CUBEX SKORPION II 2 meter antenna installed & it will be used vertical as well.I have another Cushcraft 215WB that will be horizontal for 2 meter SSB.

SIX-SHOOTER

Hindsight being 20/20 I'd have went with a CUBEX QUAD if I was set on having a Quad.They make great antennas & they are very reasonable in price in my opinion. They also have great customer service.

SIX-SHOOTER

We ordered those first but the guy running the place was a space cadet and after several delays we cancelled and went with the L2. I agree that the cubex would be less complicated but I am enjoying the dual polarity of the L2. With the cubex you have to pick one or the other.
Another factor that swayed us was the fact that we both bought the smallest
yaesu rotor and realized that the cubex might be too heavy for it (mast mounting)
We just got my buddies L2 up tonight and he is getting nice gain over his omni but still testing. We got his together better than I did since I was the guinea pig and we learned from my install.

Also the cubex magnum 2-CB is the same price as the L2.
cubex magnum 2-CB says 26 pounds and L2 says 11 pounds.

I agree that Cubex has a great reputation from what I have read.

Last edited:
Harlequin, I applaud you for telling us what you both planned to do and in short order...following through with your projects. Then reporting and showing us much of what you did, step by step.

This is being informative.
round_of_applause_head.jpg

Reactions: W77
We ordered those first but the guy running the place was a space cadet and after several delays we cancelled and went with the L2. I agree that the cubex would be less complicated but I am enjoying the dual polarity of the L2. With the cubex you have to pick one or the other.
Another factor that swayed us was the fact that we both bought the smallest
yaesu rotor and realized that the cubex might be too heavy for it (mast mounting)
We just got my buddies L2 up tonight and he is getting nice gain over his omni but still testing. We got his together better than I did since I was the guinea pig and we learned from my install.

Also the cubex magnum 2-CB is the same price as the L2.
cubex magnum 2-CB says 26 pounds and L2 says 11 pounds.

I agree that Cubex has a great reputation from what I have read.

From what I have seen over the years a Quad will not have the lifespan of an Aluminum Yagi but I wanted to try a Quad on some band so I chose 2 meters.The parts just don’t last as long as Aluminum but I think if I ever get the antenna installed it will outlast me but time will tell.I have no doubt that the aluminum antennas I have will outlive me and several others after me.

SIX-SHOOTER

Thanks Marconi. Here are some pics of my buddies L2

I agree Six- shooter that an aluminum yagi would outlast a quad.

The L2 claims 36 DB side and rear rejection but we are not seeing that. The side rejection is not as good as the rear than the rear. I don't know if we can use the S meter on the ICOM 7300 to compare actual #'s.

Attachments

• IMG_20200614_144023635.jpg
    IMG_20200614_144023635.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20200615_173048867.jpg
    IMG_20200615_173048867.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20200614_141747591.jpg
    IMG_20200614_141747591.jpg
    503.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20200614_141752171.jpg
    IMG_20200614_141752171.jpg
    431.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20200614_141757353.jpg
    IMG_20200614_141757353.jpg
    863.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20200614_141801815.jpg
    IMG_20200614_141801815.jpg
    454.9 KB · Views: 54
I have had an L4+ up now for about 6 yrs. A couple yrs ago ice did get a wire and i had to take it down and orderes all new wires from them. I have had no trouble other than that. Flat swr up and down the band talks and hears great.

Reactions: Mudfoot

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.