• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Lightening L2 Quad

I just inherited an L2. I built this antenna for my wife's dad about 6 months ago. The build was much harder than I anticipated, but went ok. We stood it up on an 8-foot pole in the yard and got the SWR down to very respectable levels (don't remember exactly, but like 1.2). We then put it up at about 32 feet high on the tower. Even with the low SWR, he never was very impressed with its performance. He didn't notice any gain over his A99, and the rejection was less than stellar. We just got done building a Maco Comet for him, and he is super-stoked. Now I get to try to make the L2 work for me. I plan to disassemble and redo most of the hardware. I want to get rid of the ridiculous cockeyed screws. I also wonder about using metal hose clamps for the matching wire standoffs instead of the cheap plastic ones we all had to mod with electrical tape. The L-brackets on the standoffs are all metal, so surely the metal hose clamps wouldn't interfere. Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Well less than a year and the connection for one of the wires came undone. Can't use antenna and too much snow to take it down to see what happened. It came off where the vertical feed goes to the wire.

We took the L2 down a few days ago and the quad wire broke off the eyelet that attaches it to the white drive wire. Taking it up and down is a real pain here so I disassembled and packed it all away and will probably sell it. I was able to keep every last screw, nut and part that it cane with. When I get time I will Ebay it. If anyone is interested I am at Talesout@optonline-net

Thanks Marconi. Here are some pics of my buddies L2

I agree Six- shooter that an aluminum yagi would outlast a quad.

The L2 claims 36 DB side and rear rejection but we are not seeing that. The side rejection is not as good as the rear than the rear. I don't know if we can use the S meter on the ICOM 7300 to compare actual #'s.
It said to read the notes your wires they say the backside but in the note figure 6 The wires goes at then end of the boom front wire in front of fiberglass rod toward the end of boom the reflector wire goes on the back on the fiberglass toward the end of boom just like the front yours not that way you didn't read the notes but antenna looks good good job if SWR ok and have good gain try it but i would change it like instructions.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Read all the posts just now. My L4+ showed up today and I'm amazed by this matching network. Thanks to everyone for sharing their photos and experience.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.