• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Lightning and static during storms

Eldorado828

8-2-8 in the Lonestar state
Feb 21, 2016
The Lonestar State
This is a subject talked about countless times here on wwdx. I couldn't figure out which thread to stick it to so thought I'd post this example here. Pretty wicked stuff. I once disconnected the coax coming from the antenna into the shack and got a little static shock. Not sure if it was from me or from when touching the shield and conductor on the pl259.
This video is on a whole other level though.

This is why I have a ground field of 16 ground rods, lots of 4ga solid wire, and all antennas are DC grounded with lightning arrestors at the entry point.

I consulted an electrical engineer before putting my station together, his words were, "you can't tell lightning where not to go, but you can encourage it where to go with robust grounding ".

This is a subject talked about countless times here on wwdx. I couldn't figure out which thread to stick it to so thought I'd post this example here. Pretty wicked stuff. I once disconnected the coax coming from the antenna into the shack and got a little static shock. Not sure if it was from me or from when touching the shield and conductor on the pl259.
This video is on a whole other level though.

I think someone here was saying that they killed their Nano VNA this way. Back in the day, people would put up a long wire and hook it to a spark plug. Then plug the spark plug into a model T ignition coil, and hook the coil up to charge a battery.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.