• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Liquid Solder Mars mod questions

NightOwl3261

Jul 24, 2020
Due to aged eyes and ahakey hands I am going to do a Mars mod that requires connection a couple pads. What the heck product do I use ( specific please on brand, etc ) and does it require heat to cure, and if so what is the used as a heat source?

The only solder I would use for that is the solid variety.

Solid until you heat it with a soldering iron so it flows onto and bonds to the work surfaces. In your case, foil pads on a printed-circuit board.

I remember a "liquid solder" product from years ago. It was an epoxy glue that was saturated with metal particles.

Haven't seen it promoted in a long while. I have never tried to use it.

I concur with both of them. Use regular solder to bridge the pads and be done with it. Liquid solder is not what I would consider to be permanent for any electrical connection, especially in a mobile radio environment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Handy Andy
Due to aged eyes and ahakey hands I am going to do a Mars mod that requires connection a couple pads. What the heck product do I use ( specific please on brand, etc ) and does it require heat to cure, and if so what is the used as a heat source?

Sounds like you have a Yaesu 891. I did mine and I don’t have steady hands (69 years old). I put a pointed tip on my soldering iron, got it good and hot and only used a teensy bit of solder. Only took a sec. You got this. (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.