• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Little tarheel ii install

I have ordered a few things just to have for future projects. Never know if the company continues after he retires, or worse. There are a few more things I will be buying for my future van project.

Yeah. Somehow I got sidetracked lately on the radio gear budget as desire outran need, ha!

Breedlove gear, I need.

But a blonde showed up.
And then a brunette with great legs.

The sexy stuff boggles the remaining brain cells. Desire declared the winner!

Hank passed away. Jerry took over. I agree that — as these things go — Time isn’t a friend.

I’ve had a list with competing items. Just need to buy both and get over that. As it’s false economy to have missed out via indecision.

Bought a Hustler resonator spring. It looked small and flexible on the website. Wanted to install at base of the whip. It's stiff as hell. Damn stiff.

I have a 3" spring on my Larsen whip that very flexible and would be perfect. It's aller that 3/8". Any source for a more flexible 3/8x24 spring?

You really don't want a heavy "potbelly" type spring like the Hustler. It's too heavy for the Little Tarheel's smaller diameter coil can't take the stress of that weight and wind loading if you do whack something. I damaged my first antenna doing the same thing.

Tarheel doesn't even recommend a cap hat on this antenna either. I ran one anyway.

Firestick makes a slimmer lighter stainless steel spring available online with a quick Google search. It is somewhat stiff but a loose spring could make the whip wobble when moving.

The potbelly type does fold over better as some people fold it over their vehicle and strap it to the front bumper to park in a garage.

Firestik SS3H
SS3H.jpg

Reactions: Slowmover
You really don't want a heavy "potbelly" type spring like the Hustler. It's too heavy for the Little Tarheel's smaller diameter coil can't take the stress of that weight and wind loading if you do whack something. I damaged my first antenna doing the same thing.

Tarheel doesn't even recommend a cap hat on this antenna either. I ran one anyway.

Firestick makes a slimmer lighter stainless steel spring available online with a quick Google search. It is somewhat stiff but a loose spring could make the whip wobble when moving.

The potbelly type does fold over better as some people fold it over their vehicle and strap it to the front bumper to park in a garage.

Firestik SS3H
View attachment 37567

I have a number of those have been in/out of service over many years.

Some will loose stiffness at a faster rate than others.

It’s the sort of item to buy in pairs or “fours”, anyway.

It’s a standard truck stop item you head that direction.

Thinking of making a threaded stud adapter to use the Larsen. It's thing diameter and flexible. I need the Larsen coil stud size and thread pitch.

Firestik SS3H
View attachment 37567
That's the exact spring I ordered. Must have Hustler brand, too. It looks soft, but it's stiff as hell.

Just for reference, here's a Hustler pot belly spring. This us what I thought you were using.

41cAnlO+HFL._AC_SS350_.jpg

These are best for 102 whips but they are heavy.

Seems like your on track to adapt your Larsen whip to suit your needs.

My Little Tarheel HP only came with a 32 in whip that's really flimsy that I thought was cheap.

You could use that 32 in whip holder for the longer Larsen whip but you may need to drill out the whip holder some if the Larsen is thicker.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated