• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

LMR 400 vs standard RG8X

I need a 75' length of cable w/ PL259's. 2/3 of it will be an outside vertical run. HF only. I've been using cheap RG8 from decades ago that was stored.
What is JEFA?
I was set to shop for LMR400 when I found "LMR400/213 type" ads for a BR400 cable. Terminology is getting tricky.
All of the cable in my shack is from Jefa. Their cables are assembled on site in Maryland and carry a warranty against defects. Their 400 cable is used by several government agencies.

This is not rebranded crap coax.

JEFA Tech Low Loss 400 is a high performance alternative to CommScope® WBC-400, Times Microwave Systems® LMR-400, Belden® 9914 / 9913 / 7810 and Andrew® CNT-400 coax cable.

This is high performance coaxial cable which has become the standard of the outdoor wireless LAN industry. It is also used by Amateur Radio stations looking for higher performance for VHF/UHF, microwave, and satellite communications as compared to standard RG-8/U. It also works very well on HF, with much higher power handling capability than other coax alternatives.GENUINE BRAND NAME COAX CABLE
FACTORY DIRECT - WE ARE THE MANUFACTURER
PRODUCED TO STRICT QUALITY CONTROL STANDARDS
SATISFACTION GUARANTEE AND WARRANTY

BUY FACTORY DIRECT FROM JEFA TECH FOR GUARANTEED QUALITY
Our coax cable is produced to strict tolerances and stored in our climate controlled warehouse in the state of Maryland, USA. JEFA Tech has been in business since 2003. We are well established and here to stay and support you with a quality product. We stand behind the quality and performance of the cable and offer a 30 day money back guarantee and five year warranty.

Last edited:
$71.50 plus tax for 50' from JEFA as of 5-14-23. I remeasured and need only 58' from ATU to Ant Feedpoint. I'll long patch-cable for last few feet. Leaves me with a full 30' outside (straight up vertical) and the remaining 20' running horizontal inside along floor.

I read entire thread and appreciate all the input. I'm in the camp that some installs matter more. I'm located inner city so coax is likely more important noise/TVI-wise despite everyone having FIOS/Cable.

$71.50 plus tax for 50' from JEFA as of 5-14-23. I remeasured and need only 58' from ATU to Ant Feedpoint. I'll long patch-cable for last few feet. Leaves me with a full 30' outside (straight up vertical) and the remaining 20' running horizontal inside along floor.

I read entire thread and appreciate all the input. I'm in the camp that some installs matter more. I'm located inner city so coax is likely more important noise/TVI-wise despite everyone having FIOS/Cable.
$80 50 feet genuine Times Microwave LMR400.

No affiliation, just a happy customer.

Soon on the primary cable run. I've moved tetrode amp to my operating location several times only to move it back to work area for some mod or adjustment. New rg8x patch cables & hardware needed so I can switch Tets in & out w/ATU. It takes time to maintain a station that can reliably transmit more than a hundred watts.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?