• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

lmr 400

Dec 22, 2006
hello. well the tower is up 85f and the laser will be going up tusday.. this is what i got tram rg213/u non-contaminating high temp 105.c or do i need lmr 400.. what would you do? and what about the coil thing under the ant..? or do i just need to come straight down the tower in the shop? thanks for any help..

By all means, LMR-400! If the "laser" is a beam, you will want LMR-400 Flex.

I recommend Cable Xpert's equivalent CXP1318FX! It is equivalent to LMR-400-UF or Belden 9913F. It also has a UV rated jacket!
http://www.cablexperts.com/cfdocs/cat.cfm?ItemGroup=1&itmsub=0&bskt=0&USA_ship=1&c=0

RG-213 is a MIL spec number. The only difference between your bottom of the barrel RG-8 and RG-213 is that the 213 has a "non-contaminating jacket". This was intended to be used on ships where fuel and oil spray were likely. Other than that, it is your everyday 66% velocity factor RG-8.

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
if you really want to do a proper job
go with hardline such as
andrews heliax LDF4-50A
LDF5-50A (what i use for HF)
LDF7-50A (what i use for VHF-UHF)

hmm

king thats what i was using Andrews LDF4-50 till I went up 20 more foot with the tower now I'm 20 foot short.....lol

KingCobra_CDX882 said:
if you really want to do a proper job......
With all due respect, using LMR-400 is very proper. In most situations, hardline is overkill. I would hate to think that someone who went the extra mile to install LMR-400 would be thought of as not doing a proper job.

Lets see.
It's on HF, something like 100 to 150 feet total length, going to a directional antenna. No idea of the amount of power it needs to handle. That means that anything 'better' than RG-174 will work just fine. Think I'd disqualify the RG-58 just for the 'heck' of it. Anything more than that is 'over-kill' till you get to something like $1.00 per foot where it turns into something that puts a little 'doubt' in user sanity. The amount of 'loss' in that 100-150 feet just isn't gonna make any practical difference in what you will be able to hear, which is the whole point.
Then again, it's your wallet.
- 'Doc

Reactions: Marconi
KingCobra_CDX882 said:
dont get me wrong
LMR400 is ok. never would i call it good especially if running power and distance
You ARE wrong. LMR-400 is better than good. It is the BEST coax you can get, just short of hardline! Period!

Hardline is good stuff but unpractical for your average CB'er. Unless you are running huge lengths and MASSIVE (>10K) power, the advantages of hardline are almost nonexistent at 27MHz.

$))

Granted....
Hardline is hard to work with compared to LMR-400..

I find Hardline does make a difference..

my comparison would be..
in setting a beam (or making a custom beam)

in setting it up for greatest foward gain
you may get out a bit better

however it is not persay the best way to set up(design) a beam
is better to set the front to rear and side rejection higher

this enables better ears
to which you can better hear those trying for DX

Simularly..
i have found...

Hardline gives me better ears
(while oh so slightly inproving foward gain..remember i said oh so slightly)

LMR400 is ok in my book (most consider it the holy grail)

Attenuation (dB per 100 feet) LMR400 is .7 Db
Andrews Heliax LDF5-50A is .195 Db

also LMR400 is considered for 3 to 5 yrs usage
Andrews Heliax is Guarenteed for 10 yrs

let us remember
it is more importent to have a better antenna system
(coax-feedline people is part of antenna...lol )
then it is to have a kick ass linear-amp
(combining kick ass amp with kick ass antenna system is best)

those who use Hardline know its value
yes it is expensive
(damm connectors ran me nearly $300 each)
yes is a pain in the butt to work with

yes it is overkill for simple cb usage
(so is using a HF transciever to talk only 11 meters and look how many people do that...ask those who do so if they realise the value in doing so)

using hardline compared to LMR400 is also like
when one uses head phones to best hear those in skip land

for most people HARD LINE IS EXTREME OVER KILL
do not knock those who do and say LMR400 is ok
is just not the best

heck even hardline is not the absolute best
but even i have limitations

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.