• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Long Time Lurker Looking to Get Back Into CB

Leprechaun

Oct 2, 2005
Hello, It has been quite a long while since I logged on here. Several years ago the site went down and life moved on and I slowly found myself engaged in other things.

However, I would now like to get back into CB/Ham radio. It has always interested me to see just how far you can talk on a radio and then push it to get a little bit more.

Looking at a few radios to pick up. I really like the General Lee Export and I would also like to get a Cobra 29 just because its what I started with and seems to be the most common to learn how to tweak on your own to squeeze out a bit more.

Antenna wise, just to start I was looking into a Wilson 1000 or a K40/30 magnetic mounts. I know these aren't the most ideal setup but it would allow me to move radios between vehicles as well as get my feet wet to look into a more optimized antenna set up.

Anyone have any suggestions/Websites on were to acquire gear or should I change up what I am looking into? So far I found WalcottCB and Bells CB (Walcott is currently having some sales).

Lastly Do I need the Peak and Tune these shops offer? Is this something I could do with a little help from you guys? Or is it worth the few bucks to get say the General Lee peaked and then play with the Cobra 29 on my own?

Thanks for the help!

I agree with undertaker. Scott's and Bob's would be my first go-to. It sounds like you have a good strategy there for the radios and antennas. You may find that you change your mind at some point and get something different, but regardless, just do what makes you happy!!
73's

PS.. As for the peak and tune, just know that one man's peak and tune is another man's butcher job. This is why my go-to guys are listed above. There are some great technicians and there are some hacks! I'm sure some of the other guys will jump in here and help with figuring that out. Lots a great people on this site, that's for sure!!

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up I may hit up Scotts Radios for the General Lee and would you recommend getting the radio Peaked and Tuned him/reputable place?

I dont really have anything near me other than some smaller truck stops. I would have to drive at least an hour 1 way to find a larger shop. Without any real feedback on these places I am a bit hesitant to get any work done there.

Nice! Awesome thanks guys. Would you recommend something different than the General Lee? Is there a better option in that price range?

Would there be a better option than the Cobra 29?

I am open to any and all suggestions. I like the General Lee just for the price point and a lot of positive reviews I have been able to read up on for an export radio. Seems like it is popular for a reason.

Nice! Awesome thanks guys. Would you recommend something different than the General Lee? Is there a better option in that price range?

I am open to any and all suggestions. I like the General Lee just for the price point and a lot of positive reviews I have been able to read up on for an export radio. Seems like it is popular for a reason.
Anytone at-5555n ii

I am open to any and all suggestions. I like the General Lee just for the price point and a lot of positive reviews...
I've a Cobra 29 LTD Chrome. It's a in pristine condition, and will sit on the shelf, in its original box for years to come. You want to dabble with upgrading; there is much written up on the Cobra 29.

A SSB radio will run you an extra $150 MOL over the General Lee. I'm partial to Stryker SR955; ~ 75W+ PEP, a freqency counter, programmable for a number of attributes including VFO steps, make your own Roger Beep tone sequence. My SR655 isn't SSB enabled; it too sits on the shelf. I don't know the likenesses and differences between the General Lee and the SR955 perhaps more or less than those mentioned above.
I upgraded from a Ranger RCI2950. (editted). The replacement RCI didn't fall anywhere close to that $150 ball park. It's my standalone mobile with heavy footwarmer onboard.

Since Undertaker mentioned the Stryker name for antennas, I'm rather proud of my choice of the SR-A10MM (mag mount). I feel it's the right companion for the RCI2970N4.

Last edited:

The general lee has it's place, it's a great big talking radio and is known one amongst the trucking community. It rivals the Galaxy 33, connex 3300, Stryker sr-447hpc2 and others.

But....

As @Alabama Buckeye stated, it's shortfall if you're really wanting to fully dig in to the hobby is the lack of ssb. You've picked a perfect time to get back in because the sun cycle is just firing up and with an am only radio your be missing out on the best part of it all with an am only radio. So that's the reason for everyone's push on an ssb capable radio.

Now if you aren't interested in ssb and the Lee is all you need then have at it because in it's niche, it's a big dog.

Could even do a president McKinley or uniden 980ssb with a little kl-203 and work plenty of ssb and am both. No echo though, if that's something you're after you won't find it in either of those 2 radios.

Countless options

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated