• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for a good external speaker

I don't know but I am sure it's possible to switch put speakers, take the current one out and have a look at it and measure it, there are plenty of. 5-6" speakers that would work. I am pleased with mine the way it is against the windshield it has a nice surround effect to it like that. They aren't bad for the money and are built like a tank lol. And are very loud with most radios

I still haven't ruled that one out especially knowing how well they sound and they are available at the Pilot truck stop that I pass on my commute to and from work.

A tank for sure.:)

If you can find a used AES PCL-1 Pro (Amateur Electronics Supply) speaker, they were a gem. Specs: 5"W x 4.3"H x 3.2"D, 8 ohm, 20 Watt, 300 Hz to 5 KHz response, full magnetic shielding, and weighs 1.7 lbs. I have two and they make any radio (Fixed or Mobile) sound great.

Certainly one to consider and it appears they are available at eham for $20. The only problem is now I got this replacement speaker idea in my head and won't be satisfied until I try and fail.:unsure:

I ordered a Boss BRS40 4" Dual Cone Replacement Speaker from Amazon which came in the mail today. I figure that for $8 and free shipping it was worth it to satisfy my curiosity.

I hope to try it out this weekend and will let you know how it turns out.

Reactions: 1 person
I decided to replace the speaker in my "Boomer" because it was no better than the Cobra external speaker I had planned on replacing and the Boss dropped right into the Boomer case and the screw holes lined up.

There is a noticeable difference in both the clarity and loudness of the new speaker. I'm not sure how it would compare to some of the better speakers mentioned above, but for $8 and about 15 minutes of actual labor, I'd say it was time and money well spent.:)

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

sometimes if I feel the audio is too high pitched I open it up and pack some newspaper or foam in it to give it more base but over all they are fantastic external speakers

I also like motorola commercial speakers, have one wired for my lincoln, my FT 897D and my FT2400, work great.
I have one with a built in audio amp on my Alinco dual band rig and it is night and day difference over the tiny little speaker in it.

Jeff

Audioshockwav, you have Motorola speaker with an amp built in?? Or is it of a different make. Would love to have an amplified speaker that sounds good that doesn't require me spending a bunch of money if possible. I know there are some speakers out there with dsp and other options, but man the prices are kind of ridiculous, I could buy some good speakers and build a proper box for less than what some cost. But an amplified one sounds interesting. If you have any photos they would be much appreciated as well. God bless.

I have a both a Cobra and a Boomer brand external speakers and while they serve the purpose, the audio doesn't see to be much better than the stock speaker. Any suggestions?

I have the output from my external speaker jack go through a mono-stereo adapter then a stereo 3.5mm cable into the stereo aux input on my factory stereo in my 2011 Tacoma. Serve it's purpose very well.

I have the output from my external speaker jack go through a mono-stereo adapter then a stereo 3.5mm cable into the stereo aux input on my factory stereo in my 2011 Tacoma. Serve it's purpose very well.

That would something to consider but I'm trying to keep it simple in the company truck. Since you are using the aux input, do you have to choose between listening to the cb or stereo?

I'd thought about doing something similar using two of those mini cb speakers plugged direct into the cb as usual. They work well in the car where there is less noise and aesthetics is more of a concern.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.