• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for a good external speaker

I have tried the smaller speakers and found that while they do sound good that they lack and deep or low tones and that any engine or other noise is very noticeable as the frequency response is higher. I have had good results with the wilson metal cased speaker. It sounds great reflecting off the windshield, but I am always on the hunt for new or maybe better options. Will try one of the Motorola speakers here soon, like the amplified one!! Anyway JMO. God bless.

That Motorola looks like it has the same case and mounting bracket as the Boomer I used for my little experiment. I was thinking about buying one just so I could have something with that brand name on it. Oh, the memories of riding in a taxi as a kid. Some of you may have seen these in other types of vehicles.

Control-Head.jpg

il_570xN.564191741_bpao.jpg

That's what my wilson speaker looks like, I do like it but would like a better quality woofer. And having an amp would be nice as well especially in a mobile IMO. I don't drive a BMW to work so it can get kind of loud in the cab lol. But seriously, I like the look of that old Motorola speaker Boll Weevil!! God bless and thanks for the photos. Ideas are popping into the head now lol.

That would something to consider but I'm trying to keep it simple in the company truck. Since you are using the aux input, do you have to choose between listening to the cb or stereo?

I'd thought about doing something similar using two of those mini cb speakers plugged direct into the cb as usual. They work well in the car where there is less noise and aesthetics is more of a concern.

It is a simple setup for me. Since the aux input is not on the stereo itself, but in the lower center panel where the power port is. Requires just on cable from that point to the cb radio external speaker jack. The adapter simply matches a mono external speaker output from the radio to a stereo 3.5mm cable which goes to the aux. Aux is selectable using the stereos mode selector switch so yes you have to choose. Radio Shack(yikes!) had the adapter for a buck and change and I had the cable laying around from an old computer speakers set.

I have a both a Cobra and a Boomer brand external speakers and while they serve the purpose, the audio doesn't see to be much better than the stock speaker. Any suggestions?

Another thing I did before I started using the aux on the stereo was to use one of a pair of Bose Environmental 151 speakers. It worked very well. I now have the pair of 151's on my base station :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.