• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for a good external speaker

Boll Weevil

Mar 2, 2014
SW PA
I have a both a Cobra and a Boomer brand external speakers and while they serve the purpose, the audio doesn't see to be much better than the stock speaker. Any suggestions?

I have a both a Cobra and a Boomer brand external speakers and while they serve the purpose, the audio doesn't see to be much better than the stock speaker. Any suggestions?

motorola or the kenwood kes 5..

commercial speakers serve me well .

I used a Boston Acoustic book shelf speaker I had hanging around on my 2000 because the ones that come with it look nice but sound like crap try an find a good quality speaker at a yard sale or flea market if you don't have one hanging around the difference is amazing .:pop:

Reactions: 1 person
Center voice speaker from a surround sound system sounds better than any "ham" speaker I have tried. Get one for dirt at a pawn skop.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the suggestions. I neglected to mention this is for a mobile.

The Kenwood and Uniden look as if they would work nicely in the location of my current speaker.

Uniden also makes a slightly smaller speaker. I like the Bearcat speakers, they sound great. They used to be much cheaper, but price increased in the past few years.

BC-15 is the smaller one.

Reactions: 1 person
How about the NES10-2 MK3 Amplified DSP Noise Cancelling Speaker ? ...

thumb_NES10-2mk3_top_web.jpg

Noise Cancellation Speakers

I use the wilson chrome speaker in the mobile, sounds good. Has good tone and is loud. Put it near the windshield and you get the a much fuller sound from it bouncing off the windshield. JMO .

I use the wilson chrome speaker in the mobile, sounds good. Has good tone and is loud. Put it near the windshield and you get the a much fuller sound from it bouncing off the windshield. JMO .

A coworker of mine (not the 30 amp fuse guy) has 2 older versions of that and they're branded Texas Ranger. He let me borrow his spare one night this week and I put it against the windshield. The audio was fantastic, I only wish it were a bit smaller. Space constrictions are what have limited me to the cheaper models in the past.

I've also considered buying a replacement car stereo speaker and swapping out an existing speaker, using the same case. I found a few for under $20 but need to compare things like magnet size and frequency response.

Has anyone ever tried this?

I don't know but I am sure it's possible to switch put speakers, take the current one out and have a look at it and measure it, there are plenty of. 5-6" speakers that would work. I am pleased with mine the way it is against the windshield it has a nice surround effect to it like that. They aren't bad for the money and are built like a tank lol. And are very loud with most radios

If you can find a used AES PCL-1 Pro (Amateur Electronics Supply) speaker, they were a gem. Specs: 5"W x 4.3"H x 3.2"D, 8 ohm, 20 Watt, 300 Hz to 5 KHz response, full magnetic shielding, and weighs 1.7 lbs. I have two and they make any radio (Fixed or Mobile) sound great.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.