• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for Advice and some help too!

radioguyuk47

Apr 19, 2013
Near Southwell, Notts - UK
Hi there fellow Dxers,
It's been quite a number of years since I first became a fully fledged Dxer - mus be 26 years +, so I'm looking for some help and advice!

I'm fed up with my Internet Radio, so have treated myself to a cracking little radio from Amazon called a
Trevi 741 Portable World Receiver Radio - 12 Band FM/MW/SW 1-10, as I see it's got some great reviews on there!!

Anyhow what sort of aerial should I need to get the best from this little radio?? An outside one?? What wire should I use and get from where?? Or should I opt for an Internal aerial??

Look forward to hearing from you all,
All the best
Nicolas

Hi there fellow Dxers,
It's been quite a number of years since I first became a fully fledged Dxer - mus be 26 years +, so I'm looking for some help and advice!

I'm fed up with my Internet Radio, so have treated myself to a cracking little radio from Amazon called a
Trevi 741 Portable World Receiver Radio - 12 Band FM/MW/SW 1-10, as I see it's got some great reviews on there!!

Anyhow what sort of aerial should I need to get the best from this little radio?? An outside one?? What wire should I use and get from where?? Or should I opt for an Internal aerial??

Look forward to hearing from you all,
All the best
Nicolas

I could not find any such receiver on Amazon but a good antenna would bean outside wire, horizontal. I have one that is about 60 feet long, three to five feet above the ground. I hear most anything.

73 mechanic

That or a discone antenna. Been looking at them myself, (discone antenna) that is. Need to find a good spot for one where I am. Wire would be easiest and most likely most stealthy though.

That or a discone antenna. Been looking at them myself, (discone antenna) that is. Need to find a good spot for one where I am. Wire would be easiest and most likely most stealthy though.

Discone for HF? Stealthy? LOL A discone for HF is far from stealthy. How many acres do you have?

Here is an HF discone antenna.

IMG_4185.jpg

And for size perspective.

Launch4life002.jpg

Hi there,
Thank you so much for your invaluable advice!!!!

I found this on Amazon - is this the sort of thing I should be looking for????

Attachments

• 31Hok847WFL._SL500_SR100,100_.jpg
    31Hok847WFL._SL500_SR100,100_.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 239
Here's the little beauty I've bought:
71kD45D0IhL._SL1110_.jpg
Looks to be a good receiver but is limited on HF frequencies as it covers mostly short wave broadcasters and has gaps in band coverage. A favorite of mine is the Tecsun PL-660 and a newer version will be out, the PL-670 soon. These cover the whole of HF, 100 kHz to 30 mHz and have USB and LSB including digital readout and memories.
Expect to pay a bit more for a full coverage receiver with all modes but you will hear many more stations and comms. The PL-660 also has SYNC detection to aid in reception during poor or fading band conditions. Of course a long wire always makes a difference! Think of your antenna as a fish net, the bigger the net the more fish you will catch!

73 mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.