• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for help for perfect install

I think this may be the best solution I have seen. If I go this route, I would have to remove the headliner to change coax, and I don't want to do that if I decide to add an amp. My radio will be mounted to the roof between the sun visors, so I won't need much coax to reach it. My amp would be in the back seat somewhere, so I would like to start with coax long enough.
(a)What do I do with the excess? Just stuff it above the headliner randomly, or big coils?
(b)What is the best coax for 1k watts?
Sorry for the questions, there is just so much bad info everywhere that I am hesitant to believe anything anymore.
(a)Use a piece of coax that is long enough to do the job; not a pre-made piece. Certainly don't need to store the excess coax up inside the headliner; why?

(b)Between the amp and the radio, the coax will need to be pretty flexible. A quality brand of RG-8X should work out fine. Still can't figure out why you must have a 1k amp.
:unsure:

IMO - You can do just fine with the radio alone with that Predator antenna.

Last edited:
I don't plan to amp it initially, but I would like to leave the option open. I just thought it would be easier to use a coax that would be long enough to reach an amp. Would it be acceptable to use a male-male adapter to hookup an extension if I add an amp later? I will definitely never remove the headliner again after the initial install.

I don't plan to amp it initially, but I would like to leave the option open. I just thought it would be easier to use a coax that would be long enough to reach an amp. Would it be acceptable to use a male-male adapter to hookup an extension if I add an amp later? I will definitely never remove the headliner again after the initial install.

No issue with running the barrel connector so you can install an amp in the future. If you plan on a kW amp a solid mount on the roof will perform better and be less likely to give you problems with RF interference.

I have a puck mount on the roof of my 01 with a predator 10k on top. You need a good backing plate for support. I believe mine is 6 or 8 inch square 1/4" thick aluminum plate. I've hit my antenna pretty hard and not damaged the roof. The monkey made antennas are built like a tank but IMO that's not a good thing here. I think the thin lower shaft on my predator will break before the roof gets any damage.

They seem to tune better if you put them as far back on the cab as possible and a 17" shaft seems to be the best compromise between low swr and flexibility....the longer the lower shaft the shorter the stinger. You can use a mag mount base and your antenna of choice to find the sweet spot before you commit and drill a hole.

Something else I did for piece of mind is put a few snap on ferrite cores around the coax as close to the mount as possible before I put the headliner back in. Will help prevent common mode current that will cause all kinds of RF havoc in these Chrysler products. You have to know what mix of ferrite you're dealing with. Some mixes are useless for HF.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated