• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for my first true ham radio

The FT 450 can be had for the 500 dollar range right now. Will give you 160-6 meters, which means if you are a tech, you have two bands right off to use. IF DSP with select-able filters. Current production, so service is easy to get.
Rich
I agree, the 450D is a great entry level rig.

The alinco sr8t at $500 isn't a bad deal!! That is brand new!! $489 at Univeral. Not bad at all. Not much more than some exports.

Reactions: phantom309
That's what I was looking at, it was a bit concerning that it wasn't really being recommended.

I know the old adage you get what you pay for. So I was figuring that's the story with Alinco radios.

I like the Kenwood and Icon radios but they are really pushing me financially. I could go the used route, but with cb equipment I have been burnt a few times. Not that I can afford to lose $100 or so dollars but it's easier then losing $500 plus on a used rig with zero warranty.

I don't have my ticket yet, I am still studying. Hopefully I will feel more confident to take the real test within the next few months.

Oh, I don't own a computer. So the replies about hooking up a computer to the radio really have me very baffled. Can someone really dumb this down to a truck driver's intelligence level and explain the purpose of doing that to me?

Thank you.

So the replies about hooking up a computer to the radio really have me very baffled. Can someone really dumb this down to a truck driver's intelligence level and explain the purpose of doing that to me?

I'm a truck driver myself so I will give to you as easy as I can.

The good things about hooking a HF rig to your computer is rig control. This means you can easily setup your radio with the manufactures rig control software and easily configure your radio's settings along with full operational radio control functions with clicks of a mouse.

It is far easier to setup things like EQ, memory channels, and other IF filters and user programmable settings via computer rather than using the radio's menu settings screen which often use weird abbreviations for the settings and can be are hard to understand causing you to refer to the manual for nearly every menu item. On the computer, you should have plain English menus settings that are easy to understand and adjust.

The best and most useful thing about hooking to a computer is using your base station radio as a remote controlled radio station. This can be done with any modern HF radio that can be controlled with rig control software.

I can and do operate my home radio station that is hooked to my home computer using one of the many free remote radio software programs. Then thru the internet and remote control software installed on both my Home PC and laptop using a headset mic, I can work the HF bands that my current mobile radio setup doesn't have antennas for with full radio control of all functions just like I was sitting at home in front of my radio. This can be used anywhere in the world for that matter where I have internet access or 4G wireless network to hotspot my laptop with, and let's me fully access and fully operate my home radio station remotely.

This let's you play radio while your laid over for the night or if you have stable mobile internet, driving down the road. You can also use any typical Bluetooth cellphone headset and use the VOX function for hands free mobile radio operations too. If you think about it, You can really get by without even having a mobile HF radio in your truck.

When you study for your ticket, the exams study guides will cover remote stations and rules regarding them. I would hope you are going for at least your General class ticket since a Tech class is too limiting and you won't hardly be able to operate an HF radio where all the good action is.

Maybe my terminology is wrong. I do know you can run rig control software with these so I always took radios with that capability as software defined.

Maybe firmware defined is more appropriate?

I am learning about this myself, and the lines are getting blurred now with the new Alinco, Elad, and Icom SDR rigs. For SDR, it used to be Flex, Apache, and a few others that were a box with no knobs, the software gave you all the buttons and knobs on your computer screen. CAT control can be done with tons of rigs back to the 80's via a serial port, and now they do it with usb. I think the first Kenwood to have the serial port was the TS-440 back in the early 80's. "Regular" rigs can operate without a computer at all, or optionally enhance things via CAT control by using software to control the rig remotely (as you are doing). Typically a SDR has to use an outboard computer.

I'm enjoying the best of both worlds right now, and use CAT control to handle my FTdx-3000 for logging, band/mode switching, etc., along with a SDRplay that I use as a panadapter to see signals on HDSDR or SDR-Console. The Omni-rig software ties it all together, and I can click on a signal on the spectrum from the panadapter, and it takes me right to the proper frequency and mode. You can do the same thing with the Yaesu FT-450 once you tap the IF. Very cool stuff!

Brett

After reading some of the replies here I am wondering if I would just be better off staying on the cb instead.

I believe I am more lost and confused now then when I started this thread.

After reading some of the replies here I am wondering if I would just be better off staying on the cb instead.

I believe I am more lost and confused now then when I started this thread.

Please don't give up! CB is great, and I have had fun with it for years. Ham can be what you want it to be... simple as playing on 10 meter ssb, or as complicated as chasing satellites on VHF/UHF.

I am a "newbie" to ham, and learning as I go. That's what is cool about it... you can learn as you go, reject what you don't care for, and have tons of fun with what you do like. The best part about a ham ticket is there is always a band to play on. Lots of info here and on the web, plus videos on youtube to help explain things that don't make sense if you are a visual learner like me. Don't give up, my friend!

Brett

Reactions: phantom309
Just get a basic HF radio and use it for 11m SSB use for now if you feel I comfortable with getting your ticket. Your breaking the law using anything other thsn a bone stock CB/SSB radio. At least you can do it cleanly with 100 watts from most HF radios with a good antenna setup. If you are just curious as to what the difference in radios that is. JMHO. But getting your ticket isn't a bad thing although I am like you and haven't gotten mine yet. I kind of understand part of your reasoning, but it's ip to you as to how you proceed. Like I said. Anything other then a bone stock radio is illegal. So with that in mind. If you plan on buying a radio, any export radio will be just as illegal as using an HF radio on 11m. JMHO. Unless there are levels of radios and how much the fines are?? Just saying though. Breakinf the law is breaking the law. Why not do it in style at least LOL!!

Reactions: Hurricane95
Asking what radio to get it like asking what car to drive, you are going to get 100 different opinions as you did here. What 222dbl said is true, you don't need anything "fancy" to get your feet wet just get them wet. Buy a used radio, get 30 feet of 14 gauge wire and have at it. Make a dipole, hang it from a tree and work the world. My dipole is 20' up and I worked most of Europe and Asia this past weekend on 100 watts. Get your Ticket, stay on CB as well if you want but just have fun!

Reactions: 2RT307 and 222DBFL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.