• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for my first true ham radio

phantom309

Aug 23, 2015
I am looking for a multi band transceiver from 10-80 meters but I have no idea where to buy, from what mods should be done or even who is recommended to do them.

I would prefer new if at all possible, my budget to buy the radio is approximately $500 which I know is towards the bottom of the barrel.

I would like the radio to be able to cover 11 meters as well even if it simply monitors and can't transmit there, I have enough cb radios that transmitting is not a required thing for me.

$500 for me is a huge investment in something that I'm not 100 percent sure I am going to stick with. But I am fairly certain I will.

Also looking at 2 meter radios, they are definitely more in my price range, but again I am new to the ham world. What should I be looking for in regards to features that I really need and would use?

You can get some good used radios like Kenwood TS-430, TS-440 Or Yaesu 747, 757, 767, Etc.
These are all good radios that will give you 10 - 160 meters with an output of 100 watts. They can also give you the coverage of the band that you state you want. Most of these can be found for about $300 to $400 in good working order. Some you can find with all the filter in them. If you can get an antenna tuner too (Automatic, Manual, Some radios have them built in or external) this will help if you make your own antennas. As for 2 meters if you live in an area of the repeaters you can purchase a handheld Baofeng for like $25 which has both 144/440 or even a Wouxun 8D for $79. I use both of them My Baofeng is the UV-5RTP which is 1, 4, 8 watts and My Wouxun KG-UV8D. Her is some of ideas that you can look at. Hopes this helps.

Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom, the big three middle of the line rigs are all around $350 to $500, plus.

Icom 706mark2 and 2G are around $500 to $600and are shack in e box, full hf, vhf and 2g has uhf.

No need for an antenna coupler ( tuner) if you make your antennas resonant. Put the money saved from buying a tuner towards a good radio.

Purchase now for the future use and think about where you may want to expand your interests in the hobby, so many different modes of operations etc etc.

Pretty much what is going to be within your budget, you're going to have to shop the used market. The HF radio's Decoder mentioned are good radio's and will work fine.

Usually all HF radio's have full general coverage receiving so no mods are necessary to monitor 11 meters.

The lowest cost new radio is the Alinco's. These can be found for less than $600.00.
I have one I use for a spare and I don't really care for it much but I got it in trade and it's good for a spare radio if I ever need.

If you can get by with spending a little more, You can't go wrong with the Yaesu 450D. This radio has all the modern features like DSP, IF filters, EQ and DNR noise reduction. It's also a software defined radio which means you can hook it to your computer using rig control software to operate and program the radio.

Reactions: Steve_Buckeye
there is a REALLY nice 450D on QTH right now, extra mic,... and in your price range.
Listing #1252182 by N9EWO
no, I don't have any financial interest in the sale

Reactions: wavrider
Pretty much what is going to be within your budget, you're going to have to shop the used market. The HF radio's Decoder mentioned are good radio's and will work fine.

Usually all HF radio's have full general coverage receiving so no mods are necessary to monitor 11 meters.

The lowest cost new radio is the Alinco's. These can be found for less than $600.00.
I have one I use for a spare and I don't really care for it much but I got it in trade and it's good for a spare radio if I ever need.

If you can get by with spending a little more, You can't go wrong with the Yaesu 450D. This radio has all the modern features like DSP, IF filters, EQ and DNR noise reduction. It's also a software defined radio which means you can hook it to your computer using rig control software to operate and program the radio.
Maybe picking nits here, but the 450 is not a SDR. CAT control? Yes. SDR? No. You have to tap the IF to use a panadapter (which is easily done via something like a Soft66 SDRplay, etc.. Still a lot of rig for a little bit of money. Considering buying one myself!

Brett

Reactions: Road Squawker
The FT 450 can be had for the 500 dollar range right now. Will give you 160-6 meters, which means if you are a tech, you have two bands right off to use. IF DSP with select-able filters. Current production, so service is easy to get.
Rich

Maybe picking nits here, but the 450 is not a SDR. CAT control? Yes. SDR? No. You have to tap the IF to use a panadapter (which is easily done via something like a Soft66 SDRplay, etc.. Still a lot of rig for a little bit of money. Considering buying one myself!

Brett
Maybe my terminology is wrong. I do know you can run rig control software with these so I always took radios with that capability as software defined.

Maybe firmware defined is more appropriate?

The FT 450 can be had for the 500 dollar range right now. Will give you 160-6 meters, which means if you are a tech, you have two bands right off to use. IF DSP with select-able filters. Current production, so service is easy to get.
Rich
That's used price isn't it?

I am looking for a multi band transceiver from 10-80 meters but I have no idea where to buy, from what mods should be done or even who is recommended to do them.

I would prefer new if at all possible, my budget to buy the radio is approximately $500 which I know is towards the bottom of the barrel.

I would like the radio to be able to cover 11 meters as well even if it simply monitors and can't transmit there, I have enough cb radios that transmitting is not a required thing for me.

$500 for me is a huge investment in something that I'm not 100 percent sure I am going to stick with. But I am fairly certain I will.

Also looking at 2 meter radios, they are definitely more in my price range, but again I am new to the ham world. What should I be looking for in regards to features that I really need and would use?
Alinco SR8
http://www.cheapham.com/alinco-dx-sr8t-hf-transceiver/

Reactions: camaro1
I found the older Yaesu FT-101E series to be a great transceiver to learn on. I see your photo of a transceiver in your truck. These FT101s are not mobile units. I made sure mine came with an AM filter. The radio can be had for under $250 and a new set of (3) tubes is around 75$. Take the remaining cash get some mono band antennas and good coax.

The FT-101E series are rugged forgiving radios with really great AM modulation compared to most new HF rigs. Don't expect any fancy computer stuff with them and concentrate on making contacts, getting familiar with the jargon and proper amateur radio operating procedures as I did a few years ago.

I totally understand wanting something digital and new with a warranty also. The Yaesu 857D fits the bill, but now we're over budget without even figuring in the power supply cost (if you're going to use it as base station.) The 817D is a low power unit but again still over your $500 budget. A new transceiver for that money is going to be tough to find other than the Alinco DX-SR8T as mentioned before.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/5008.html

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.