• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for pictures of homemade radio benches

Mudfoot

Elmer
Jun 17, 2009
Southeast Ohio
Looking for ideas and inspiration on building an El Cheapo, but sturdy bench for my radios. I don't need a bench bench. I want to attach something to a wall. My back porch side wall is 10' wide. Figured I'd attach 2x4's on back wall and both sides and lay whatever top on those. Just need to figure out how to support the front without looking goofy. Maybe use plexiglass for the bench or glass. Sort of a professional rig job.

Can I see what you've done?

Last edited:

Mud , I cheated , I just bought a woodworking bench from HF , not much use for that wood vise on the end , unless you get disgusted & just want to crush the radio .:LOL: But to your support issue in front , how about those spindles the use on decks/ or staircases ? They come in all sorts of designs . Not sure how much weight you want to support but you could use more than 2 . Plus they might be more " Eye " appealing ? Just a thought . 73 , Leo

Reactions: G GOLLY WAlly
I used to build “tables” in home and shop with a 4x8 sheet plywood at 5/8” or greater. Hung from a wall.

1). atop a 2x4 rail stud-mounted horizontally, (then another sistered to that plus plywood once tacked up)

2). then diagonal 2x4 supports at (near) each end; stud-mount plus more every 4’.
Another 2x4 run under plywood.

These are also mounted to same type rail as above (notched).

Diagonals connected to the 2x4s

3). Used half-round at the outer edges.

Drop an A727 TorqFlite on it to rebuild. I did. Or, my kitchen/office table at another place.

Less than 4’ depth wasn’t useful to me. I recommend best seating to actually WORK on the tabletop to determine its height.

Depth should accommodate shelving built no more fancy than this (Kreg jig). At least 1’ from wall. That gave me 3’ depth in kitchen (shop was suspended shelves with 2’ clearance).

Someone out there has plans that are likely better than the above. Engineered.

The convenience is great.

Last edited:
I used to build “tables” in home and shop with a 4x8 sheet plywood at 5/8” or greater. Hung from a wall.

1). atop a 2x4 rail stud-mounted horizontally, (then another sistered to that plus plywood once tacked up)

2). then diagonal 2x4 supports at (near) each end; stud-mount plus more every 4’.
Another 2x4 run under plywood.

These are also mounted to same type rail as above (notched).

Diagonals connected to the 2x4s

3). Used half-round at the outer edges.

Drop an A727 TorqFlite on it to rebuild. I did. Or, my kitchen/office table at another place.

Less than 4’ depth wasn’t useful to me. I recommend best seating to actually WORK on the tabletop to determine its height.

Depth should accommodate shelving built no more fancy than this (Kreg jig). At least 1’ from wall. That gave me 3’ depth in kitchen (shop was suspended shelves with 2’ clearance).

Someone out there has plans that are likely better than the above. Engineered.

The convenience is great.

Buddy of mine stopped by earlier. He's going to build it for me. What he described was basically how you did yours. I told him I want to be able to zip back and forth in my chair and not bust my knees.

Once I get this done I'll be able to bring out my closet queens and start using them. Be nice to have a proper bench for a change.

Buddy of mine stopped by earlier. He's going to build it for me. What he described was basically how you did yours. I told him I want to be able to zip back and forth in my chair and not bust my knees.

Once I get this done I'll be able to bring out my closet queens and start using them. Be nice to have a proper bench for a change.

Once you set a height for HOW you spend hours, (I forgot to add), the space underneath is great for rolling drawers, tubs, beer-o-lator, you-name-it.

Obviously, wire & cable runs are easy. Troughs, conduit, anything goes. I didn’t have a radio setup, but, boy, I had power all over the place. No more dragging (tripping over) extension cords.

Once rebuilt a 350 4 bolt main on the living room floor in Mandeville, LA.

Got that idea from a friend. He once rebuilt a Harley in a second story apartment in Mobile. Couldn't get it down the stairs, so we rolled it out on the porch, took the handrail off, and built davitt arms to the posts at each corner. Lowered it down with block and tackle. Apt mgr had a shit fit.

20160429_201657.jpg
20160429_210343.jpg
20160501_212731.jpg

No matter how BIG you build...never seems big enough...so go bigger than you think...it will fill up fast!:whistle::LOL::LOL::LOL:
I will be building a bigger topper this summer...out of room:confused::(
Top shelves 2 x 12's...lower is 2 layers of 7/16 chipboard...not strong enough will use 2 x 6's or 5/4 board this time with a center post for extra support...End supports 1 x 6's...again ended up not strong enough...ended up adding support to the wall with brackets to keep from pulling forward.
The weight adds up quicker than you think.:LOL:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.