• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Looking for two way setup for my business

weknowlawns31

Dec 29, 2010
I am looking to ditch our cell phones and get a radio system for my landscape business I am totally clueless and need help can anyone give me some recomendations

You are looking for dumping cell phone for cost, or you want the standard behavior of two-way radio: push to talk?

If you only need to talk a few miles, you can consider MURS for cheapness.

But if you need to talk around town, you need to use a repeater.
There are many options, such as nextel.
Or try your local commercial radio shop to see if they sell access to trunking system.
Or there is the old-school single channel repeater.

We have verizon wireless now and there push to talk service is junk! I am in a urban-rural enviroment as we service an area of around 30 mile radius from our shop I am looking for truck to truck communication as well as a radio here in the office a base-repeater style. I have been looking at used radios on ebay to get a low cost start up I have played with radios my whole life but I now need them for my business.

All things considered, I think I would find a commercial shop and see what they would recommend. It certainly won't be cheap though.
With the trend to narrow band FM starting very soon, be very leery about any 'good deals'! I would imagine that it would be easy to get taken to the cleaners about now. That would go especially for 'deals' on eBay, etc!
- 'Doc

w5lz I herd about those new regulations that are going into affect I guess I am looking for guidence on that as well. I have been looking at mainly kenwood radios as well as a company called relm radios.

Red Dog Radios

VHF sounds like the way to go for you guys.

You can get 35 miles with a tower pretty easily. Just need to have a competent vertical antenna placed on your company trucks, and a nice vertical antenna on your tower.

To report back, your trucks will need 50w or higher. Vertex Standard has a few 110w mobile rigs that would almost guarantee a solid copy.

Remember though, for VHF/UHF, height is might. Get your antennas as high as possible. I'd shoot for 40 ft off the ground minimum, but more is better. The Rohn BX series of towers are very durable, and could hold multiple vertical antennas. You can get the 64' BX tower for less than $2000.

Also, be sure to use quality coaxial cable for your base installation. Andrews Heliax is the way to go, although you can settle for LMR600 or LMR400 if you're cheap. :D

This is going to be expensive if you wish to do it correctly/legally.

Having no idea how large your business is, perhaps it still makes sense. What is your budget for this project?

This is what I am thinking I would like to setup 4 of our trucks to get started and slowly add units to our other trucks and loaders as we find decent priced radios till we have all of our trucks and loaders with radios installed I found a set of 15 mobile kenwoods 2 base radios and a handheld the starting bids was 800 he said he would take 800

Thats what I am thinking I think I will setup most of our truck and rent space of a local repeater to get us up and going till we have the funds to install and operate our own repeater

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.