• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

looks like I'm gonne test ICOM's warranty

Road Squawker

Jan 19, 2011
I bought a new IC 7K "about" a year ago and I really haven't used it a lot

for the last week or so I have been using it on 60 meters following the grey line, and on 10 meters during the day.

just noticed that it was only doing 40 watts on 10, 20 on 15, 5 on 20, and nothing on 40 and below.:blink:

did the usual voltage checks and it's getting enough power. reset CPU, no difference.

soooooooo,.......... I started thinking about ICOM's 1 year factory warrantee..........

dug out the sales slip and checked the sale date,.. 7/24/2013.

immediately got on the phone with the ICOM service center and documentated the date of the failure with them,.......... they said, No problem, just enclose a copy of the sales receipt when I mail it to them.

it's all boxed up and I'm off to UPS in the morning

If you're sending it to Michigan it'll be in good hands. I myself and everyone I've known who has dealt with Matt found his work and his attitude to be as professional as they come.

Could be as simple as corrosion on the inline fuses or you have a problem with the finals. If you had just blown the drivers you'd have 0 output across the HF bands.

Man you are lucky! I am in the other boat, be my luck it's 1 day past expired lol. Good luck and hope it gets resolved. I am sure it will. Have a good one and god bless.

Icom has never asked me for a receipt. They advertise transfer of warranty to the current owner. Keep us posted.

RS,

When you checked the voltage did you measure 13.8V or higher? The 7000 requires 13.8V or a little more. Anything less and your TX power drops 3dB. I tested that out on my own 7000 with a variable power supply, an Alinco DM-330MV switching supply.

The voltage regulator on your car tops out at 14.4V, so the 7000 will operate fine mobile as long as the car is running, and/or the battery is "fully" charged.

Reactions: 1 person
RS,

When you checked the voltage did you measure 13.8V or higher? The 7000 requires 13.8V or a little more. ...

this unit was never operated mobile. I raised the PS voltage to about 14.2 volts, and checked after the fuses for any voltage drop,....... this isn't the problem.

the UHF/VF output is normal, sooooooo, it really looks like its in the HF PA.

rig is in the mail to ICOM Michigan,......... time will tell

Reactions: 1 person
If you're sending it to Michigan it'll be in good hands. I myself and everyone I've known who has dealt with Matt found his work and his attitude to be as professional as they come.

Could be as simple as corrosion on the inline fuses or you have a problem with the finals. If you had just blown the drivers you'd have 0 output across the HF bands.
Same with Icom in SC.

You should check the fuse connectors in the power cable and clean them up if grubby or corroded. The blade type of fuses do okay but the older style tubular fuse assembly doesn't do so well. It is a fairly common problem to lose voltage there.

Sorry, didn't read all the replies.:oops:

this unit was never operated mobile. I raised the PS voltage to about 14.2 volts, and checked after the fuses for any voltage drop,....... this isn't the problem.

the UHF/VF output is normal, sooooooo, it really looks like its in the HF PA.

rig is in the mail to ICOM Michigan,......... time will tell

They do good work, my 706 went there a couple months ago. I received n email from them a week or so ago saying here are no more service parts for my serial number range 706.

What do they do at that point w9cll? Return it? Or can they not upgrade the necessary parts? Just curious.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated