• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Low SSB Audio With Yaesu 101E

Rudes

Dec 20, 2008
Hey Guys,
I recently hooked up a Yaesu 101e and I'm trying to use it with a D104 TUG8 base mic. The mic works fine on my RCI but on the Yaesu the audio drive is very low on ssb and I even changed the r2 resister on the audio board to a 4.7m value as advised on one of the forums. I wired a cheap non-amp cb mic up and it drives the audio much better than the d-104. There is an obvious mis-match with the d-104. Any ideas?

You need a high impedance mic for that rig, Shure 444D hard to beat, next would try unamplified d-104.

600 ohm works great for solid state rigs. He has a hybrid with tube finals that require an high impedance mic to sound correct or as stated "drives" the rig.
The manual for the FT-101 will explain the need for high impedance mic.

I have tried an amplified D-104 on one I repaird here and sounded like SH*&,, high impedance is the only type that will sound decent on your FT-101 or any tuber rig,

I also know from personal experience that Shure 444 are tempting to Golden Retrievers.

I purchased two Shure 444 and they were delivered why I was on vacation for the holiday. the mail carrier, ( who is used to delivering many packages to me) Just dropped them off in the front yard and my pair of Golden Retrievers had alot of fun "playing" with them, do not know if I can piece them back together but the dogs SHURE had fun by the looks of the mics.

The operating range is 500ohm to 50k ohm at 1khz, I found for a nice smooth mellow AM, the 600ohm hc-4 works good in preamped d-104. At 600ohm it will not scream, if you want it to do so, go higher in the ohm rating. 20k-40k with the hc-5 will be VERY loud!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.