• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco 103HV vs A99

It would be good to clarify what is on the other end of the 9 mile contact. It's a two way street. I can talk 25 miles base station to base station w/o even thinking about it. I lose truckers that are mobile (I am using a base antenna @ 30 ft to the feed) at about 10 miles either side of me due to terrain and their less than optimal antennas.

ETA - heck, in one case I can't talk base to base at ~15 miles due to terrain.

Reactions: Grizz420 and Robb
Yup, I don’t trust the quality control on the 99 at all.

When I got it brand new last September, the 2 main pieces would not screw together. There was molten solder down in the threads from a manufacturer defect and I was very frustrated to say the least. I hit 4 places before I finally found an oreillys that had a tap.

We might say that could happen to anything. But then I saw a review on Amazon about someone else having the same issue.

I think that is bs. For the price we pay for these, I would expect at the very least they could have someone checking fitment. It makes me wonder what else could go wrong.

My whole system is new last September. The coax and the antenna.

I think I’m gonna get a Maco Y quad and call it a day. It’s cheaper, it’s lightweight, it’s dual polarity and I can afford it now.
The coax will be here Monday. This will give me a completely new system. The 103HV is a bit tougher to get ahold of with my limited resources.

Reviews on it are sparse, but so are they on any beam it seems.

If someone wants to try and talk me out of it you have until the morning before I click the button :cheesin

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I think I’m gonna get a Maco Y quad and call it a day. It’s cheaper, it’s lightweight, it’s dual polarity and I can afford it now.
The coax will be here Monday. This will give me a completely new system. The 103HV is a bit tougher to get ahold of with my limited resources.

Reviews on it are sparse, but so are they on any beam it seems.

If someone wants to try and talk me out of it you have until the morning before I click the button :cheesin

Do a search for Sirio Vector 4000. It is a vertical antenna that has a gain that is higher than any vertical offered today and almost as much as a beam. The benefit is that you will keep vertical polarization of the RF wave. If the people you are talking to have vertical antennas and you are not talking skip then you will need a vertical antenna. Otherwise the waves will be 90 degrees apart as far as polarization. This is a problem people run into using a horizontal dipole and it causes the distance the waves can travel to be a lot less. Beams are good for talking skip because the polarization changes every winch way when it bounces down out of the sky. I just bought a Vector 4000 but I don't have it up yet. Do a search and you will see what I am talking about. Also do a search for vertical beam. Some beams can be put vertical instead of horizontal so that would take care of the polarization problem but it might have other issues. I have not looked into them. Good luck.

Reactions: Sonar
Interesting design. Looks like it has two gama matches. One horizontal and one vertical. I have seen this but I didn't realize what it was. Very interesting. You will have to show us how it switches between horizontal and vertical.

Attachments

• Y-Quad_2_-537x456.jpg
    Y-Quad_2_-537x456.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 4
Interesting design. Looks like it has two gama matches. One horizontal and one vertical. I have seen this but I didn't realize what it was. Very interesting. You will have to show us how it switches between horizontal and vertical.

Two separate feedlines, one to the vertical and one to the horizontal. A switch box in the shack switches between the two. An option is one feedline and a remote coaxial switch but they tend to be a bit pricy.

Maybe it's your mounting method ? This is the only one I know of that always works

dsc00374_small_434.jpg

tnx George wherever you are

Last edited:
I disagree; I would NEVER truck with any j-pole on any band.
Their polar pattern is just too unpredictable - IMO.
Never again . . .

Local guy I used to know was king of the hill with his A99; had it up just 40 ft to the feedpoint. On the flat lands on top of his two story house - too. Still uses it after 20 some years as well. I got him to change his old coax out as it was kinda ratty after that long. Still worked great; although the antenna was getting tatty from decaying fiberglass fibers shedding. So we took it back down and sprayed it with some clear lacquer that had UV protection, cleaned corrosion off of all of the joints, and then put it back up. Still going strong.

Don't get me wrong; there are far better antenna out there available that are better than the A99. But it will work so long as lightning doesn't get it or too strong of wind takes it out. Its polar pattern leaves a bit to be desired; but it still works fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: tba02
Quad is a great choose dual polarity much improved gain over the A99 I’ve used them and enjoyed the performance even over my V5000 I had 80’ away. Had mine up 58’ to the boom and could consistently talk tho guys 140 miles plus as th3 crow fly. Also you be suprised of how many folks just talk on the horizontal side that you will hear especially late night early. morning. But you made a great choice. Just be exact on the measurements on the spread of the reflector wire

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated