• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

maco 5-element to stacked 5 or 8-element maco

552fl

Mar 29, 2018
running a 5-element maco now everyone said the 7-element would not be much better ok what if you stacked two 5-element together or maybe going to a 8-element?

As others have said in this thread, the 5 element is the best bang for the buck. Best gain for its size. An 8 element is a monster, and keeping it up in a windy environment is a real challenge. Ditto for stacked 5s. Plus you will need a premium heavy duty rotor, a well guyed tower, etc. Not worth it for what little additional gain you get.

It was stated in the other thread that the 7 element would have about 2 dB in gain over the 5 element.

To put this idea in perspective, two stacked 5 element yagi's would have about 3 dB gain over a single 5 element yagi.

After adding elements to a yagi, you have to increase the size of the yagi exponentially to continue to see the gains you see from just having a few elements. As you continue to add elements, the cost goes up at an exponential rate, while the additional gain goes down at an exponential rate. This is the reason few people tend to push HF yagi's past 4 or 5 elements.

The DB

552fl
Just what are trying to accomplish? If you wish to just talk to people on earth - then a single 5 element will work.
If you need to talk to stations in other galaxies - then buy all means go to stacked 5's or bigger!

Reactions: Redbeard U812
I would go for 8 over 8 :)
20080707_1963828473_28-2_014.jpg

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I believe the stacked beams will have a more narrow pattern whilst still maintaining good rejection off of the back. Or something like that.

It depends how they are stacked. Side by side has the same elevation angle but narrower beamwidth. Stacked one above the other has the same beamwidth as a single antenna but compresses the take off angle.

You're right DX man just go bigger I live out in the country plenty of room have two tall rohn towers ..have a bucket truck that goes to 65 ft so there's no problem putting up a bigger beam..

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Must be a better beam out there somewhere with more performance than the 5-element.. shade tree did you ever get you a Heathkit sb-220?... I ended up with three now..

You're right DX man just go bigger I live out in the country plenty of room have two tall rohn towers ..have a bucket truck that goes to 65 ft so there's no problem putting up a bigger beam..

Putting them up is not the issue. Keeping them up is the problem. Stacking a pair of 5 element yagis for 11m requires a fair bit of knowledge and skill to put it up right and make sure it stays up. VERY BIG effort for very little return.

Reactions: unit_399

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.