• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maco V-5000 VS. Sirio Gain master

DualAntennas

Oct 6, 2013
Just between these two

for Base to mobile operations which????
how do they compare????????????????

I'm running both of those antennas right now on an antenna switch on each side of my house and it seems like the Gain Master does out do the V5000 on TX & RX. there are stations that I really can not hear with the V5000 but I can hear them with the Gain Master. although ever so slight is the difference. the main thing I like about the Gain Master is the band width it allows me to go up into 10 meters and still have SWR's below 1.5 where as with the V5000 I get no where near that kind of band width.with I 50 to 60 miles they both are pretty much neck and neck but it seem like I get more miles down the road with better TX & RX as the crow flies ground wave with the Gain Master. of course there is the power handling issue with the V5000 being able to take more watts but with a good antenna like the Gain Master over 300 watts would be over kill anyhow the V5000 may hold up a little better if you live where you get really harsh winds and winters the Gain Master is a little on the flimsy side compared but here in the mid Atlantic region it ill be fine on scale from 1-thru-10 V5000 9 Gain Master 9.5

I'm running both of those antennas right now on an antenna switch on each side of my house and it seems like the Gain Master does out do the V5000 on TX & RX. there are stations that I really can not hear with the V5000 but I can hear them with the Gain Master. although ever so slight is the difference. the main thing I like about the Gain Master is the band width it allows me to go up into 10 meters and still have SWR's below 1.5 where as with the V5000 I get no where near that kind of band width.with I 50 to 60 miles they both are pretty much neck and neck but it seem like I get more miles down the road with better TX & RX as the crow flies ground wave with the Gain Master. of course there is the power handling issue with the V5000 being able to take more watts but with a good antenna like the Gain Master over 300 watts would be over kill anyhow the V5000 may hold up a little better if you live where you get really harsh winds and winters the Gain Master is a little on the flimsy side compared but here in the mid Atlantic region it ill be fine on scale from 1-thru-10 V5000 9 Gain Master 9.5
Hows the dx with the gain master?. I found with my gm copy is that it is significantly better with the long haul dx I.E Europe.Asia.

On a Scale from 1-thru-10 V5000 9 Gain Master 9.5

Try co-phasing them two to get the best of both worlds so to speak...LOL...
that might make it a 10 he he he/ Hi-Hi.................
Copper electronics sales a a-99 cophasing harness that may work

This get's me thinking now If they were co-phased could you run more watts though the gain master
Since the V-5000 would be taking up half the juice????? Hi-Hi !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
would co-phasing be a good way to beef up cheap antennas to handle more power????

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Try co-phasing them two to get the best of both worlds so to speak...LOL...
that might make it a 10 he he he/ Hi-Hi.................
Copper electronics sales a a-99 cophasing harness that may work

This get's me thinking now If they were co-phased could you run more watts though the gain master
Since the V-5000 would be taking up half the juice????? Hi-Hi !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
would co-phasing be a good way to beef up cheap antennas to handle more power????

So...?

Hows the dx with the gain master?. I found with my gm copy is that it is significantly better with the long haul dx I.E Europe.Asia.

I really see no difference with the DX I have them both on an antenna switch and some times when talking to Dx I switch between the two during the conversation and I see no outstanding difference. I was doing that today talking into Europe and actually a couple nights ago talking into New Zealand

Co phasing does very little performance wise, and you can't co phase different antennas. I don't think you really need more than 500 watts anyway. You can talk all over the world with 100w when conditions are right. Unless you are doing key down contests it is unnecessary in my opinion. Get the GM and a TS DX350 and I have a feeling you will be able to talk to most everyone you hear.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Co phasing does very little performance wise, and you can't co phase different antennas. I don't think you really need more than 500 watts anyway. You can talk all over the world with 100w when conditions are right. Unless you are doing key down contests it is unnecessary in my opinion. Get the GM and a TS DX350 and I have a feeling you will be able to talk to most everyone you hear.

Plus, if you really want to put more power through a Gainmaster there are directions on this very forum for modifying the Gainmaster handle up to 1500 watts I think it was.

The DB

Just between these two

for Base to mobile operations which????
how do they compare????????????????

answer is
maco= handle more power , swr will only be good for the standard 40 channels
gm= less power handling ability 125 swatts am..i think. but covers way more channels,easier to setup
both antennas will probaly perform close. gain master MIGHT have a slight edge.
thats hows they compare against one another. question is which fits YOUR needs.
when you find that out you,ll know what antenna you need

You'll reach truckers a little further out with the GM than with a 5/8 wave groundplane. This has to do with the center fed GM avoiding any out of phase currents and compressing the pattern down on the distant horizon. Don't expect a huge difference but the GM will have the edge.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.