• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

magic jack

B

BOOTY MONSTER

ive herd about this cheap alternative to a typical land line over a year ago . i finally got one a few weeks ago to try and so far im very impressed . you HAVE TO HAVE a high speed internet connection and your computer has to be connected and turned on for it to work . its a little box that has 2 connections on it , one for the phone line and one for a USB port on your computer . you just plug it in , wait a few seconds and then you are asked several questions and answering them sets up your account . you can make and recieve calls all over the USA and theres also voice mail for missed calls . messages from miss calls can also be accessed through your e-mail as an attached file . theres also caller ID for screening calls . if your computer isnt on for the jack to recieve the call its goes to your voice mail like any other call that you dont answer . you can also set up your number for a state and city youre not in to have a local number in that area if you have folks that dont get free nation wide calling in their service .

another neat feature is once you set it up you can take the magic jace and plug it into any computer connected to high speed internet and your service will work from there . in fact , if your computer has speakers and a mic you dont even need a house phone .

heres the sweet thing , ITS CHEAP !!!!!!! god knows i love cheap things that work as theyre supposed to ! LOL
the jack is $40 and that includes one year of service , after that year its only $20 a year for the service . i researched it a bit online and its generally gets good to great comments . ive only had mine couple of weeks , but its been smooth sailing so far . i thought others might be interested since its so cheap and does whats its claimed to do .

so if your interested in a cheap extra phone line or just want to reduce your overall bills check them out .

magicJack

What you have is a form of VOIP. Voice over internet protocol.
This is fine as long as there's not an emergency to cause internet or commercial power failure.
I have vonage plus a siemens satellite portable phone as a back up.
n9zas

Yeah MJ looks like a great deal but seems to only benefit those who are getting their TV and DSL via cable.

Our TV is satellite and the DSL is through phone line. We don't make long distance calls from the home phone as most every cell phone plan has free long distance including ours, so MJ would be no benefit.

Still a great deal for those who are on cable or who could use a cheap 2nd line.

Thanks Booty

I put my laptop in my car with my MJ and a cheap home phone and find somewhere that has free wifi. It works just fine plus it saves my prepaid cell minutes. That is if I somewhere I can connect to the internet through WIFI. They will also work on broadband cards.

does magic jack feed advertising to your computer and/or spy on you?

I've heard things...

im surprised no one has asked the two most important questions about this new device/service.

1. does it cause noise on your CB radio?

2. does your CB radio bleed onto your phone line?

LC

that i can not answer LC . i just moved tha first of the month and havnt put up the antenna yet . i think ill put up a simple dipole till i can get the ground elements for my homebrew and only have to put it up once . anyhow ...... when i get something up ill come back and comment . hopefully others can comment that have used it with their stations .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.