• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Maxlog M8900 No Power to Finals

Jun 5, 2016
I had this shipped from over seas from a reputable shop. The radio size is perfect for my Jeep and I really like the features and the display. Receive is very clean. One issue, it looses power to the finals. I've had it repaired twice but repairs didnt last. The dealer overseas, claims its an easy fix to run these down but the radio is not worth the shipping cost. There is no factory support, no schematic and no shops near me than can run this down. Cold solder joints have been the issue.

I could use some input from the experts here on getting this fixed, if it can be fixed. Any input on chinese radios and cold solder joints appreciated!

I bought the next size up, CME8900, to replace it. The CME is OK but when the Maxlog worked, it was a superior radio in many ways..... Thanks in advance

Had the same problem. .Cause is usually bad solder joint at the voltage regulator ( to220 mounted at the left side ) or blown reg , they run real hot and it's lead free solder.. Check you have volts at the finals and the reg is working. Min was a easy fix cleaned off the solder and reflowed the joint I added additional heatsinking to the regulator to help keep it cool and wound down the am and fm power a little
I'm light on details as I dont have the radio any more and am going from memory.

Reactions: 392
When you get it resolved and working properly, don't shove it in a place with little ventilation. Like said these radios run hot as they are just so small. Adding a small fan to the back of them will help a bunch and also turning back the power will help as well. Some go as far as removing the internal speaker on some of these smaller radios and placing a fan in the empty spot. This works well if you use an external speaker only. If not mount one or 2 small ones to the back of the radio. Keeping it cool is key to keeping it alive. As well as resolving the issues it has. I do not own one, but I do own a couple of small radios, not as small as that one and they get hot! I can imagine how hot that little think could get with a good qso. At any rate, try what VK is telling you. Hope you get it resolved.
You may have to ship it to someone like DTB, Doug's Custom CB, or a few other ships with good techs that will go through all solder joints. Also if you know what the issue is, let the tech know with a note as well as a phone call if possible. Give them as much info as you can. This will help them as well. Not that any of the ones I listed couldn't most likely figure this issue out pretty quick. Sometimes it's not what you know but who you know to get things fixed correctly. Try Doug's Custom CB shop. Call there and see if he can at least give you a ball park figure on what it would cost. Most good techs can do this. Unless the entire radio is just F'ed up. At any rate. Might be best to let someone do this for you. The guys that do it everyday will do it much faster than ones that don't. JMHO's. Again, I hope you get it fixed. I almost bought one of these until I started hearing about some of the issues. Heat being a main one. And that isn't good for any electronic components. Sure they might be able to handle it, but for how long?? Good luck sir.

When you get it resolved and working properly, don't shove it in a place with little ventilation. Like said these radios run hot as they are just so small. Adding a small fan to the back of them will help a bunch and also turning back the power will help as well. Some go as far as removing the internal speaker on some of these smaller radios and placing a fan in the empty spot. This works well if you use an external speaker only. If not mount one or 2 small ones to the back of the radio. Keeping it cool is key to keeping it alive. As well as resolving the issues it has. I do not own one, but I do own a couple of small radios, not as small as that one and they get hot! I can imagine how hot that little think could get with a good qso. At any rate, try what VK is telling you. Hope you get it resolved.
You may have to ship it to someone like DTB, Doug's Custom CB, or a few other ships with good techs that will go through all solder joints. Also if you know what the issue is, let the tech know with a note as well as a phone call if possible. Give them as much info as you can. This will help them as well. Not that any of the ones I listed couldn't most likely figure this issue out pretty quick. Sometimes it's not what you know but who you know to get things fixed correctly. Try Doug's Custom CB shop. Call there and see if he can at least give you a ball park figure on what it would cost. Most good techs can do this. Unless the entire radio is just F'ed up. At any rate. Might be best to let someone do this for you. The guys that do it everyday will do it much faster than ones that don't. JMHO's. Again, I hope you get it fixed. I almost bought one of these until I started hearing about some of the issues. Heat being a main one. And that isn't good for any electronic components. Sure they might be able to handle it, but for how long?? Good luck sir.

Thanks for the good info, it is in an open air location, i have a bar across the roll bars. I do want to give it one more shot on repairs before I trash it. I'll look up Dougs and speak with them..... Thanks

Thanks for the good info, it is in an open air location, i have a bar across the roll bars. I do want to give it one more shot on repairs before I trash it. I'll look up Dougs and speak with them..... Thanks
If you trash it I'll give you some money for it. Get a magnifier and some good light and look for a fractured trace or a bad looking solder joint.

If you trash it I'll give you some money for it. Get a magnifier and some good light and look for a fractured trace or a bad looking solder joint.
Well I could look all day and wouldn't find it. I'm going to send it off and give it one more shot! Appreciate it Tallman... Just looking on advice on good tech to send it to, seems like there are plenty here...

Well I could look all day and wouldn't find it. I'm going to send it off and give it one more shot! Appreciate it Tallman... Just looking on advice on good tech to send it to, seems like there are plenty here...
Check with Exit thirteen. He seems rather well versed in all things radio.

392, would you like to attempt to troubleshoot it yourself?

without a schematic, we are at a huge disadvantage, but we may be able to find the source of the problem.

If you just want to send it out, I would recommend Mike's Radio Repair. you can check him out on youtube. I have no connection to him, and i do not know him; i have just watched his videos and he is very experienced and very knowledgeable.

DTB is great too, but he has closed his doors temporarily.
LC

without a schematic, we are at a huge disadvantage, but we may be able to find the source of the problem.

If you just want to send it out, I would recommend Mike's Radio Repair. you can check him out on youtube. I have no connection to him, and i do not know him; i have just watched his videos and he is very experienced and very knowledgeable.

LC
LC I was just noticing DTBs website was down. As far as me doing it, I'm not knowledgeable on the inside of a radio, especially these new ones with tiny components. I'm the type that would rather just pay someone to repair it. I will check out Mikes, was hoping someone on this forum would roger up for the task, there seems to be a lot of knowledge here. Thanks

Had the same problem. .Cause is usually bad solder joint at the voltage regulator ( to220 mounted at the left side ) or blown reg , they run real hot and it's lead free solder.. Check you have volts at the finals and the reg is working. Min was a easy fix cleaned off the solder and reflowed the joint I added additional heatsinking to the regulator to help keep it cool and wound down the am and fm power a little
I'm light on details as I dont have the radio any more and am going from memory.
VK did you do this yourself or send it off?

Did it myself.! 5 mins with a volt meter to find it. hardest part was to remove the old lead free solder. I first tried to reflow the joint but it didn't work. So i then removed old solder with desolder braid and redid the joint with standard 60/ 40 solder.
For the heat sink I fitted an old to220 fin I had lying around and also fitted an extra aluminium plate to the outside of the chassis .

Last edited:

LC
LC do you know how I can contact Mike? He is not answering his email on you tube and i cannot find a phone. There is a Mike's radio and TV coming up on Google but it is not him. Thanks, Tim

It's fixed! Check out repair video, Mike appears squared away for sure. Thanks Loose Cannon for the lead on getting this fixed....

Reactions: LeapFrog
That is the problem with lead free solder! But thankfully it is and easy fix.... Now for the heat problem, a fan is best but some have relocated the power transistor to the heat sink area with the use of longer leads. Seems to work!
Mine is working fine and I wonder what happened to these neat rigs? I know the 8800 V7 is about the same but I like the small form of the M-8900.

73 mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.