• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

meanwhile out in the garage ...

Now back to the alcoholic. No, not me , the bike.

I'm leaning more towards 110-145 , Trick , VP 110 . When I can't find "good" fuel E85 is a good substitute without a jet change . Without something like Blendzall (castor plus long chain octane boosters and a methanol carrier) I'd have to change jets for straight Methanol . I don't have to tell any long time tuner of the XS that compression isn't the best direction to go in finding more area under the curve .

The cure to the self created symptom is three sets of carbs . One set for pump 92 , one for the race fuel and E85 and one for straight methanol . The rubber in the stock BS38's has enough issues with 10% let alone E85 . The Methanol just trashes everything unless dry (near zero water content) and the E85 works with nearly the same jetting with just a change in timing .

The real advantage to E85 if properly set up is cooling through latent heat of evaporation and easier starting than straight ethanol or methanol . E85 is a little easier to tune to because its rich symptoms are a bit more evident than straight ethanol or methanol . When using straight methanol additives need to be added to the fuel in order get any visual indicators on the plug .

The compression increase came by way of the bore increase and a significant dome on the Kawasaki (MTC K1327H)as well as careful adjustment of assembled height . With less than .050" piston to head clearance a substantial quench/squish area is gained along with the compression increase . You can always loose compression with the addition of base gasket and a cam adjustment within reason . I've run as little as .037" piston to head clearance on a fresh engine with only incidental contact with carbon deposits and saw evidence of the quench effect disappear around .055" . The final numbers aren't in yet but 12:1 plus or minus is the expected .

Keep in mind that this is an aberration , not a motorcycle . This is a hooligan , outlaw , full silly , nut case , animal in animal clothing . It is not practical transportation in any sense of the term . Its meant to shatter ear drums , make the eyes water , scare dogs , cats , children , and old ladies. "I want to kill. I want to kill! I want to see Blood and gore and guts and veins in my teeth! Eat dead, burnt bodies! I Mean: Kill. Kill!"

get the picture ?

Reactions: Rwb and Tallman
dang we sure cant buy much muscle now maybe a roush mustang or a gss modified mopar .
Speaking of gss i went to chicago to gss with a friend.we drove a new hemi charger home that gss reworked into power.ghosts at grand spaulding street now

Modern muscle cars are pretty easy to massage extra HP out of. A change to the fuel and timing curves can get you a lot. Beyond that you have to change heads, injectors,intake manifold. Any more than that camshaft and pistons are next and you have to pump the compression up tighter combustion chambers or turbo/supercharger.
You make your horse power with compression ratio, the tighter the better.

Reactions: Rwb
Keep in mind that this is an aberration , not a motorcycle . This is a hooligan , outlaw , full silly , nut case , animal in animal clothing . It is not practical transportation in any sense of the term . Its meant to shatter ear drums , make the eyes water , scare dogs , cats , children , and old ladies. "I want to kill. I want to kill! I want to see Blood and gore and guts and veins in my teeth! Eat dead, burnt bodies! I Mean: Kill. Kill!"

get the picture ?
Be sure to feed it some raw meat before you go in and start tuning.

Every time I worked on the Fire bird some blood had to be sacrificed, or knuckle skin.

I'm leaning more towards 110-145 , Trick , VP 110 . When I can't find "good" fuel E85 is a good substitute without a jet change . Without something like Blendzall (castor plus long chain octane boosters and a methanol carrier) I'd have to change jets for straight Methanol . I don't have to tell any long time tuner of the XS that compression isn't the best direction to go in finding more area under the curve .

The cure to the self created symptom is three sets of carbs . One set for pump 92 , one for the race fuel and E85 and one for straight methanol . The rubber in the stock BS38's has enough issues with 10% let alone E85 . The Methanol just trashes everything unless dry (near zero water content) and the E85 works with nearly the same jetting with just a change in timing .

The real advantage to E85 if properly set up is cooling through latent heat of evaporation and easier starting than straight ethanol or methanol . E85 is a little easier to tune to because its rich symptoms are a bit more evident than straight ethanol or methanol . When using straight methanol additives need to be added to the fuel in order get any visual indicators on the plug .

The compression increase came by way of the bore increase and a significant dome on the Kawasaki (MTC K1327H)as well as careful adjustment of assembled height . With less than .050" piston to head clearance a substantial quench/squish area is gained along with the compression increase . You can always loose compression with the addition of base gasket and a cam adjustment within reason . I've run as little as .037" piston to head clearance on a fresh engine with only incidental contact with carbon deposits and saw evidence of the quench effect disappear around .055" . The final numbers aren't in yet but 12:1 plus or minus is the expected .

get the picture ?

Have you considered turbo charger?

get the picture ?
i was gonna say methanoyl is a bitccchh to tune for as is some others.ever try av gas the hi octane stuff not the green dye av gas? E 85 i havent dealt with
If heat expands how close is the piston to head under heat at full power?

This is quite a nice work in progress . I like it too kopcicle

Have you considered turbo charger?
Why yes , yes I have . Although I haven't completely dismissed it the thought comes with some considerations.
Just two cylinders and exhaust pulses necessitating plenum volume not only on the intake but exhaust side as well.
RPM. Without the advantage of elevated RPM or multiple cylinders to smooth out the power pulses selecting compressor and turbine sizes in order to avoid surge and stall becomes more critical.
Cooling. It's an air cooled motorcycle.
Fuel delivery. Carburation just doesn't cut it unless the entire carb is inside the intake plenum. Alternately supplying intake plenum pressure to the float bowl has it's own issues. Suck through is not an option if you choose to use any charge cooling device. (can you say "BOMB"? )
Mega or micro-squirt does work and is very configurable (the one bright spot)
Heat load on the oil system. A separate pump and sump. Added complexity.
Now it gets weird.
magneti-marelli-thermal-energy-recovery-system.jpeg
Okay so that makes sizing easier as well as eliminating lag but then adds the complication of an advanced electrical system.
maxwell.jpg
Maxwell is a science all to its own.
800px-NomadSchematic_185kBpng360kB.png
Turbo compound. Why not make use of exhaust energy to drive the crankshaft directly as well as feed the engine with compressed atmosphere.

So until you contemplate the entire possibility you don't see all the possibilities or the limitations of current technology. Let's see if anyone sees where this is going :)

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
That is a three phase motor/generator between the hot and cold sections of a turbocharger on a common shaft.

get the picture ?
Be sure to replace the valve stem seals! They are normally made from VITON and will fail when exposed to Alcohol fuels. Be a shame to put that much effort into an engine only to have it start smoking.

Reactions: 357magnum and Rwb
With a 12:1 compression ratio there's not much left to squeeze out.
thats why i said too much compression to turbocharge. Id bet bent rods ,broke headbolts,pulled block threads or studs whichever it has.
Turbos seem to enjoy a 9 to 1 compression ratio in gas fueled engines

That really depends on what the engine is going to be used for. The Buick grand national has a compression ratio around 7.5 to 8.0 to one. Playing with the computer software you can squeeze every drop of hp out of the. I helped a guy modify his software buy downloading his eprom and then converted it to text files so he could edit certain limits up, down. or remove altogether. His next visit to the drags he pulled the front wheels up off of the ground. That was one serious haul butt car.

Reactions: 357magnum and Rwb
AND ...

Just finished reworking the trigger group. Reduced friction, sear work, some polishing and a more consistent feel. I could drive around the problems as I've been shooting these for decades. First thing she noticed was a very narrow range of depth and speed for the trigger pull. All better now .

FAL_02.jpg FAL-01.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.