• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Metal roof question

Np's here anymore , XYL made the decision ! :whistle:;):LOL: Contractor came , said metal roof is getting to be big $'s because of what's going on W/ China & Us , so regular roof shingles it is . Life Time guarantee , Moss/Mildew resistant . Just waiting for the install .:)

Reactions: undertaker
Drill string is useless for any project that needs to remain plumb. The pipe can do a hula dance when you try to guy it up.
Recently got a good look at a 90 footer. No guys. I have a 37 footer fabricated from 2-3/8" drill stem, guys at 16 feet. Holds up real well down here off coast. Currently fabricating another for 47 foot. Drill stem can be used. The 1-1/2" fits into 2-3/8", which fits into 2-7/8", and that fits inside 3-1/2". Just don't try to use same diameter from ground up. Lap sections inside each other. The 37 footer out of 2-3/8", breakover, surprized me. Only put guys on as precaution. Did drift in wind but less with guys.

Had a yagi up on a pole at corner of pole barn, metal roof. Barn is drill stem into the ground. Horz was effected depending on direction, vert was ok. Some swr difference horz. Not over 1.7 swr. Elevation of beam above roof was about 14 feet.

Recently got a good look at a 90 footer. No guys. I have a 37 footer fabricated from 2-3/8" drill stem, guys at 16 feet. Holds up real well down here off coast. Currently fabricating another for 47 foot. Drill stem can be used. The 1-1/2" fits into 2-3/8", which fits into 2-7/8", and that fits inside 3-1/2". Just don't try to use same diameter from ground up. Lap sections inside each other. The 37 footer out of 2-3/8", breakover, surprized me. Only put guys on as precaution. Did drift in wind but less with guys.

Had a yagi up on a pole at corner of pole barn, metal roof. Barn is drill stem into the ground. Horz was effected depending on direction, vert was ok. Some swr difference horz. Not over 1.7 swr. Elevation of beam above roof was about 14 feet.

That must be one heavy SOB! Each 30' pipe has got to weigh at least 200 lbs!

Reactions: 357magnum
That must be one heavy SOB! Each 30' pipe has got to weigh at least 200 lbs!
Yes....it....is!:mad: And becoming a bigger bitch as it's growing. The 90 footer obviously was put up with equipment. This 47 foot has become a massive burden erecting by ones self.

But, drill pipe is very stable if constructed properly. The hard part is welding magnetized pipe. There are tricks, but sometimes the magnetic polarity of the pipe suddenly swap and weld gets real silly.

My little 37 foot has a break at 17 feet, it's only 2-3/8" diameter all the way up to 30 foot. Then bushed to a 1" diameter pipe. Looks like shit, but handles wind well. Only 7 to 8 foot is driven into ground, no concrete. 4 guys at 16 foot made out of coated 1/8" cable, tightened with ratchet straps. Looks shitty, but works.(y)

Drill pipe is meant to flex and bend a bit. If it was ultra rigid they would snap off and break down hole which is a disaster. I put up an 8 foot "C" Band satellite dish on a piece of drill string and you could tell it flexed by the way the readings would change while doing the alignment for the sweep of the sky. It was a horizon to horizon mount. There was 20 to 30 satellites and you had to move the dish to get as many as you could. Most of the stuff up there was free until HBO scrambled their signal.

Yes....it....is!:mad: And becoming a bigger bitch as it's growing. The 90 footer obviously was put up with equipment. This 47 foot has become a massive burden erecting by ones self.

But, drill pipe is very stable if constructed properly. The hard part is welding magnetized pipe. There are tricks, but sometimes the magnetic polarity of the pipe suddenly swap and weld gets real silly.

My little 37 foot has a break at 17 feet, it's only 2-3/8" diameter all the way up to 30 foot. Then bushed to a 1" diameter pipe. Looks like shit, but handles wind well. Only 7 to 8 foot is driven into ground, no concrete. 4 guys at 16 foot made out of coated 1/8" cable, tightened with ratchet straps. Looks shitty, but works.(y)

Shoot, RB, the Ghost People can have it up in no time . . . only problem is they don’t take dinero.

But I hear they promise that the tiny payment acceptable — weighs almost nothing — well, you won’t miss it.

Not for awhile, anyway.

I’ll bet they could sort RX/TX in a jiffy, too!

Now, isn’t there an ex-boss or ex-BIL to help with the, uh, financing?

Shoot, RB, the Ghost People can have it up in no time . . . only problem is they don’t take dinero.

But I hear they promise that the tiny payment acceptable — weighs almost nothing — well, you won’t miss it.

Not for awhile, anyway.

I’ll bet they could sort RX/TX in a jiffy, too!

Now, isn’t there an ex-boss or ex-BIL to help with the, uh, financing?

I got the Cap Hat fabricated today....20200202_172312.jpg

Np's here anymore , XYL made the decision ! :whistle:;):LOL: Contractor came , said metal roof is getting to be big $'s because of what's going on W/ China & Us , so regular roof shingles it is . Life Time guarantee , Moss/Mildew resistant . Just waiting for the install .:)
Not here. Its going to be a metal roof for us. Contractor tried the price bs too but couldn't say the shingles would outlive the metal lol. Too much wind here ripping shingles off anyhow. I don't have any antenna issues to worry about and we'll install the metal roof ourselves.

Reactions: 357magnum
Toke , Did he give you a quote on metal ? Mine did not , just did the Asphalt shingle shuffle ! :LOL: I'm not going that route anymore ( metal ) I'm not supposed to be up on a roof anyways ,as I suffer from seizures , I do go up there anyway when my wife isn't home .:whistle::LOL: But metal for me on my roof , looks like a barn roof & spots are steep so metal would be a lot more slippery for me all though it would be sweet w/ the snow .

Reactions: Tokin
Toke , Did he give you a quote on metal ? Mine did not , just did the Asphalt shingle shuffle ! :LOL: I'm not going that route anymore ( metal ) I'm not supposed to be up on a roof anyways ,as I suffer from seizures , I do go up there anyway when my wife isn't home .:whistle::LOL: But metal for me on my roof , looks like a barn roof & spots are steep so metal would be a lot more slippery for me all though it would be sweet w/ the snow .
Yeah I understand fully. Im not in an area where I deal with snow loads and screw pokes anymore. The biggest is your medical though. You have no business on a roof I agree so having a contractor do it is the best plan for you and contractors don't like metal I think because it takes 1/3 less time to install.
Yeah he tried to quote us the price for metal but we have family who have been buying their own wholesale metal roofing from the same distributor for the last 30 years so we blew his over inflated materials cost out the door lol. Almost made the guy cry.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.