• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Metal roof question

Toke , Yup I did my barn years back , just a flat roof w/ a slight slope . Stuff was sweet to work with & you are right ! My horse barn & chicken coop is about 30' X 30' . Took me about a few hours to line it up & screw it down .I think 18 years ago it cost me about $1.20 a running foot & that was 15' panels so easy to work with .:whistle:

We had the roof on our house done about 8 years ago. I had the contractor quote it both ways for steel and shingles. Steel was only $700 more so that's what we did. They put that rubber ice dam down over the whole roof. Then put the steel directly on top of that. No furring strips. The guy said that the rubber washers on the screws do great for a few years. But then they sometimes creep up and get loose and don't seal. With the rubber ice dam under it, the screw is still sealed to keep water from the wood. So far so good and I am planning for it to be the last roof I ever do on this house. Can't say that with shingles.....

The SWR of an antenna mounted over a metal roof is only one aspect to consider. If the SWR changes, you can be sure that the roof is reflecting RF power. Now the roof is at least partly replacing the soil below it, as the ground surface. This effectively reduces the height of the antenna above its ground and increases your take off angle. Adjusting the SWR does not restore the clean pattern.

Even worse is when the antenna is at the edge of a metal roof and too close to it. In that case, the ground under the antenna does not appear level and that can introduce undesired beam tilt into the pattern, making it skew away from being close to the horizon. With the back of the beam over the roof, the signal tilts into the ground while the other direction is above the horizon. If the SWR changes with direction of the beam, you know the ground reflection is not even.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.