• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MIC STUDIO SOUND HELP

darticus

Oct 17, 2011
MIC STUDIO SOUND

I need info from the guru on our site on how to add studio sound to our CBs. I have a Shure SM57 mic and through a mixer or sound effects device should give me some great sound. Is there someone that can give some suggestion on how to do this. Want to use on my Galaxy 2547. Thanks Ron

I have the W2IHY setup, and tried it on a DX2547 with surprisingly good results. Since you already have a mixer and mic, you need an interface to do it. There are cheaper ways out there, but here's one way:

http://www.w2ihy.com/interface-boxes/ibox.html

Do a search here, I remember there being some threads on home brewing stuff, and cheaper ways to hook it all up.

RT307

Reactions: tecnicoloco
All I have is the SM57 Shure mic so far but trying to see if I can do something. Will check out this stuff. Should I buy a mixer??? Thanks Ron

I have the W2IHY setup, and tried it on a DX2547 with surprisingly good results. Since you already have a mixer and mic, you need an interface to do it. There are cheaper ways out there, but here's one way:

http://www.w2ihy.com/interface-boxes/ibox.html

Do a search here, I remember there being some threads on home brewing stuff, and cheaper ways to hook it all up.

RT307

On the cb band I would say 2-3 out of every 10 people that try this actually sound good. The rest have a nasal drone sound to their audio and sound like crap.

You might start with an HF rig, this way you don't have to do all the hi fi mods to the cb set.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
An unmodifed cb radio has a filter that limits the bandwidth of the signal to less than +- 3kc on am and less than + or - 3kc on USB/LSB, and for good reason; The channel spacing is only 10kc (+-5kc).
So to say that you are gonna add studio sound to a cb radio is a misnomer, consdidering that studio sound is nearly 20kc wide.
You can make the audio sound better by using different methods: Better/different micphone, outboard eq/processor, but to try and get studio sound from a communications grade 2-way radio is not practical.
Even if you were to modify the bandwidth of the transmitter you are still being heard on a radio that has the <3kc bandwidth filter in it.
It is a nice idea, but not practical to realize/implement; and serves no real good purpose for voice communications usage.
Consider that FM broadcast radio is 150 kc wide; It is for music and 2-way radios are for voice, different requirements involved

Last edited:
An unmodifed cb radio has a filter that limits the bandwidth of the signal to less than +- 3kc on am and less than + or - 3kc on USB/LSB, and for good reason; The channel spacing is only 10kc (+-5kc).
So to say that you are gonna add studio sound to a cb radio is a misnomer, consdidering that studio sound is nearly 20kc wide.
You can make the audio sound better by using different methods: Better/different micphone, outboard eq/processor, but to try and get studio sound from a communications grade 2-way radio is not practical.
Even if you were to modify the bandwidth of the transmitter you are still being heard on a radio that has the <3kc bandwidth filter in it.
It is a nice idea, but not practical to realize/implement; and serves no real good purpose for voice communications usage.
Consider that FM broadcast radio is 150 kc wide; It is for music and 2-way radios are for voice, different requirements involved

Very well put.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Keep in mind most outboard audio equipment is not designed to be used in an RF environment and much of it is susceptible to RFI feedback. Especially when used near a linear and on AM. Get ready for the "squeal". But don't worry. If it happens buy some ferrite beads and start putting them on the cords going in and out of the audio equipment until you find the one picking up unwanted RF. Another good bit of advice is to ask around and see what other people are using with good results. It's much easier if you can find pre-amps or other equipment that has already demonstrated its ability to resist RFI.

No doubt many end fed 11 meter antennas exhibit CMC and that will drastically increase RFI. The behringer is another product line I've had good results with and should be suggested. Mostly because they are in completely shielded cases but by the time to you get the top end of HF, everything from you're mic cord to the ac line cord can act like resonant antennas and pull the RF in without significant CMC on the transmission line. The downward expander picked up all types of RFI on 10 meters prior to installing ferrite chokes on the mic line and AC cord. Although it all worked fine on 75 meters without any added chokes.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated