• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mic tests - 575M6, D104M6, RK56....and more

2NC995

DAN
Feb 23, 2008
Coastal NC
Ok, if anyone gets bored.

I've been planning on doing this for a few weeks and finally got around to it. Plenty of room for criticism with the test...it just is what it is.

TX is President Lincoln II+, RX is Washington and recorded with iphone. I did cut the volume after the first test, so the lower volume level is not due to the noise-canceling effects. Pay no mind to the S meter....it works when it wants to.

First: 575M6, D104M6B, Mod'd D104M6B and the Stock President mic (all power mics set to approx 1/3 volume and the 575 tone is 3/4 towards "0".

Second: Telex Turner RK56, New RK56, Workman SS56

Third: 636L, SRA198, Stryker SR56BC, and Telex RK56

I hate to say it none sounded much different.

Nothing wrong with that thought! When I first started playing around that's exactly what I realized as well. I'm finding that how I play the recordings (phone, laptop, desktop) and they all sound different. LOL.

Here's my general thoughts:

In the first video I thought the 575 and the mod'd D104 both sounded very good...but my mods did not make a D104 into a 575.

In the second I think the vintage RK56 sounds best.

And in the third, they all sound good to my ears except the Stryker.

(If you please, sir, go back and strike out that opening line).

Second, tests are open to criticism.
Critique isn’t anything but about method or gear
or phase of the moon.

Opinion can be ignorant or learned
We nearly all fall in-between.

So, if play it on my IPhone
Or I play it at home on a high-fidelity system

I’ll hear different differences, won’t I?

Your evaluation using YOUR microphones AND
your recording plus playback gear

Is actually a useful introduction.

Gives the thread participant an angle to start with.

Whatever else, these boys ain’t shy.
The riff-raff got run-off.

The 636 is my go to mic but I think the 198 has it beat with a little more clarity. I will have to go back and listen to mine again. I wish the 198 had a little more gain. I think eating the mic ruins the good sound it is capable of.

The Stryker would be a good DX mic and sounds like the space shuttle radio with a slight nasal sound.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.