• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Midland 13-885 base.

Birddog2009

Apr 14, 2014
I picked up a 13-885 today for 10.00 and it doesn't appear to ever have been turned up inside. It even has extras. I cant find any VRs or info anywhere online about the radio. Anyone have any info?

That is a very nice old school (1971) deluxe full-feature base. Only problem is that it's crystal controlled, so even expanding it to full 40 channel will be expensive. But otherwise a great find.
Here's the alignment info from Sams #42, along with the parts ID layout. Good luck and enjoy. 73s.

EDIT: To make the info easier to read, save them to a file and then open them in Windows Photo Viewer.

13-885.png

13-885(2).png

13-885(3).png

That's a sweet looking base ! ! I love all the "old school" radios. This is exactly what I would have had as a kid starting out. I had a Midland mobile in the house powered by a small power supply and a ground plane.

Ah.....the memories.............

Reactions: 1 person
It has already been expanded. :) Thanks for the Sams copy. Yes its a really sweet old rig. Talks good too! I just like the looks of the old school rigs.. I got this one and a Pace sidetalk 1000B really cheap. Both work 100%. The guy has a few other rigs for sale as well. He even has a few old Hallicrafters SSB rigs that id love to have but they are just too big for my shack.. :)

That's a sweet looking base ! ! I love all the "old school" radios. This is exactly what I would have had as a kid starting out. I had a Midland mobile in the house powered by a small power supply and a ground plane.

Ah.....the memories.............

It just has that old school look to it with the old style meter and the flip clock... :D

Im going back to the guys shop. He has a bunch of other old vintage CB bases and mobile.. He mostly sells old tubes and vintage audio gear but he does buy up on CB and ham gear..

VR601 AM Mic Sens.
VR602 SSB Mic Sens.
VR603 SSB AF Output
VR303 AM AF Output
VR701 SSB "S" Meter
VR302 AM "S" Meter
VR703 AM Squelch
VR704 SSB Squelch
VR702 SSB AGC
VR901 Voltage Adj on Power Supply
VR501 Final Bias
VR504 ALC
VR503 "RF" Meter
VR502 AMC

Hope this helps! :)

~Cheers~

Reactions: 1 person
Well i went back and bought two old Knight 23 Ch tube radios, a Royce base (not a big royce fan but the price was right) some old pace mobiles and and old Johnson messenger 3 mobile!

The old base stations were lots of fun! I have a Cobra 135, a 23 channel but has a switch that allows a second crystal to be used and gives another 23 channels. The voice lock is modified to where it covers 4 to 6 channels and is modded by the use of a variable capacitor. With a D104 base mic it is superb!

mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.