• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Midland 5001z. What is it?

cralt

Jun 29, 2012
Connecticut mobile
A local has a brand new in box 5001z for sale cheap. I never really saw one of these things but to me it looks like it is a rebranded Cobra 25?
I can't really find much recent info about it. There are some posts from 10+ years ago a talking about a jumper giving you extra channels. If thats the case then it can't be a C25.
I was wondering if anyone knows whats really going on under the hood of the current production ones?

5001z.jpeg
cobra25.jpeg

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

Ok that isn't a C25.
Weird that the schematic shows push buttons for the channel select but the radio is rotary dial.

I may just throw an offer for it just to satisfy my curiosity lol

Last edited:
Ok that isn't a C25.
Weird that the schematic shows push buttons for the channel select but the radio is rotary dial.

I may just throw an offer for it just to satisfy my curiosity lol
I never saw a push button 5001Z. Maybe that schematic was an early prototype. I do know it’s easy for the manufacture to convert from a push button to an Encorder type selector. A few small wiring changes, an Encoder plus a front panel that was originally made for a C25.

Attachments

• midland_5001z_schematic.pdf
    303.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Last edited:
I ordered one. It might be a refurb, but it did not say it was in the description.

Electret microphone element FYI, so a stock dynamic mic is not going to work right.

Pretty sure this a drop ship from the manufacturer because in the order summary it says "Factory Shipped".

Last edited:
Reactions: cralt

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.