• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

mobile antenna to base !

stathis

Jan 10, 2014
hallo i am new and i have some questions !!! :D
can i use a mobile antenna for base station ??

sorry for my english

What kind of antenna is it? For example is it a Mag mount? Trunk lid mount? Mirror mount?

What band or frequency range are you interested in?

For example is it a CB antenna that you want for use on 10 or 11 meters?

Remember that the K40 has the metal of the car body as a counterpoise. Mounted as a base antenna you won't have the counterpoise.

Because of it's short length that mobile antenna will have compromised performance.

You would be better off to make a simple half wave dipole and tie one end up in a tree as a vertical. Or mount it with the central feed point as high as possible and each element off at an angle.

If you had a 102 inch whip you could use it to make a vertical and then cut two radials of the same length.

As has been said, a simple wire dipole works well or there are other antennas you can build.
I will move this thread down to the cb antenna section and there are lots of guys here on the forum that can help you.

Jeff

Reactions: 2 people
hallo i am new and i have some questions !!! :D
can i use a mobile antenna for base station ??

sorry for my english
you can , but performance isnt that great. if ya only wanna talk 3-5 miles it might work
i used a metal folding chair [walmart] and put a lil wil on it. swr to my surprise was 2.1
so was usable but 3-5 mile range was it on 4 watt am radio.DONT use high power radio
or amp if this type of setup is used. i recommend using a 102 whip as posted already

If you can get the thing at least as high as if it were on a vehicle, and if you can add a usable counterpoise to it, then you would get the same performance as you would mobile. If that's "good enough" for you then that K-40 will probably do fine. Don't expect miracles from doing it that way, but it should at least do okay.
- 'Doc

Put the thing outside, not inside!

If you can get a ground rod in the ground and mount a ground wire to the metal plate the antenna is on, your swr readings should go down. I had a similar setup with an old wilson 5000 mag mount on a steel plate, and after grounding the steel plate, my swr readings came down and my rx/tx increased. Worth a try. The ground rods are 10-12 dollars at the Home Depot. Good luck and god bless.

Or, simply add a few radials to that metal plate, they would be the 'ground'. They should be something on the order of 9 feet or so, doesn't hurt if they are too 'long'. A ground rod may change your SWR, as the radials will, but it shouldn't be a large change. At 1.4:1 or 1.5:1 there's nothing wrong with it as is.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.