• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MOBILE INSTALL: 579 Peterbilt

View attachment 33975

Perspective off a little for a 4.5’ antenna. Didn’t expect a night shot to work, ha!

The black vinyl-wrap Peterbilt fiberglass wire-wound antennas are 3’.

Awfully large Corona Ball on that antenna. Careful the CDC doesn't roll through doing inspections. Hear they are looking for infected Lot Lizards with Corona Virus. That ball sure looks a little swollen, might be a red flag that your whole rig is infected and must be quarantined.

Awfully large Corona Ball on that antenna. Careful the CDC doesn't roll through doing inspections. Hear they are looking for infected Lot Lizards with Corona Virus. That ball sure looks a little swollen, might be a red flag that your whole rig is infected and must be quarantined.

Unlike Harvey Weinstein, I got a (shiny) pair.

Second, as I’m in Florida, America’s Sewer, you can bet there’s a tax parasite in uniform ready to try your line of thinking. . The way it’s done back in his old country. The law is an excuse to commit robbery.

1). Back to topic finally found that 4.00” stinger height is best I can do for now. Uniden SWR lScale is 2.20 on 1, 20 & 40. That’s a little taller than shown in pics.

2). Base of antenna mounts is right at 9’. Puts me brushing live oak limbs with Spanish Moss at 13’5”.

3). I run the truck at 62-mph. It was a 22-hour drive from eastern Dallas to Tampa, then Lakeland. Total engine run time — in other words — means a 55-mph Average Speed. Company dispatches at 50. Passed (4) vehicles in 1,256-miles.

4) Now with the Quads up, the amount of bend due to speed is negligible. Same for rotation on axis. (The Texas Panhandle or Coastal Bend in March is another test; 30-35/mph steady with gusts above 50).

5). One helluva lot of noise. And I suspect poor radio ground. Have to pull it all back out anyway as the 885 is locked up per scanner. I’ll put in the 980.

Last edited:
Unlike Harvey Weinstein, I got a (shiny) pair.

Second, as I’m in Florida, America’s Sewer, you can bet there’s a tax parasite in uniform ready to try your line of thinking. . The way it’s done back in his old country. The law is an excuse to commit robbery.

Death tax here, obummer inflicted, got repealed.

Reactions: Slowmover
Been wondering the reliability of the 885.

It’s an error code. I haven’t updated card since new (no computer).

My first unit CPU failed immediately. I exchanged at another LOVES Travel Center. This time I’ll speak to Uniden once home.

Stopped north of Daytona Beach for 10-hr HOS break en route to Savannah. I need to check wiring connections on the binding posts after pulling radio (what looks easy gets tedious, fast). I’ll set up the 980 and use the separate SWR meter to see if I can’t get antennas lower.

Much too much noise in this truck. Next few weeks I’ll have a go at:

1). I’ll have to pull the overhead console loose to access the interior access to the antenna mounts. Play with DC ground as well as RF ground.

2). I’ll look into a custom co-phase harness that has enough length to wind a balun at both ends (sacrificial, as I don’t intend to open up the overhead console a second time to retrieve “my” coax the day I get out of this truck). I’m hoping to find reasonable space once the console re-installed.

This (and power) would end my work with factory mounts. Inspected & upgraded.

3). Next will be a power cable run to the overhead. I’ve quite a bit of 6-AWG welding cable remaining, hopefully that will suffice for distance and voltage drop versus amp draw with some headroom. I’ll add a covered distribution block this time to run devices with Anderson PowerPoles.

4). I’ve wanted a PRESIDENT McKinley for some time and wish to match it up with an RM ITALY KL-203 plus a v-g microphone. All “dialed in” together. Will have to set an appointment at Larry’s CB Shop in McKinney, TX to get this done. Buy as much as possible from him plus custom coax harness.

That’s a few months out. Will finish my work utilizing the factory overhead location.

Anything else and I’m going to use the TAC COMM Radio Carrier plus put together some mirror mounts for 6-9’ antennas. Heavier power, etc.

It’s an error code. I haven’t updated card since new (no computer).

Read up on the 885 a little. Says update only necessary couple times a year, but the way things change? Have a Garmin GPS, haven't used it in years, always needed an update but still worked....my phone works better.

Some reviews I read were either paid for 5 star or complete flaming dumbass blissfully happy just to give review. Did find some comprehensive knowledged reviews that were mediocre about the 885.

Seems to me a compact mobile, easy to use scanner would be better suited. If they can put one in an AM radio, why not? That trunk mount they put out doesn't seem user friendly.

Reactions: Slowmover
Oh, I like the 885. It’s just going into semi-retirement if no genuine problems. Had it on all day today listening to Brother Cornpone J’ville to Savannah to Columbia. That is, when I turned it loud enough to compete with music.

Now Thursday. Sitting and waiting most of a day to take a load to NJ where it’s cross-docked to delivery trucks

Took out the Model 885. Installed the 980.

Used the ASTATIC PDC-1 SWR Meter to check 1,20 & 40. Not enough variance to change stinger height. All at 1.5 or so.

A straight-up install of an AM/SSB UNIDEN 980 with a change to 4.5’ antennas resulted in very good performance. On AM and on sideband.

True, I’m stuck between other trucks just now, but some air checks on AM-19 were gratifying. And the number of voices present on 38-LSB tells me it’s a good start

with no changes to the truck.

So, toss in the 980. It’s cheap. Reception was surprisingly clear (given that I’m using a DSP speaker as NECESSARY aid to any radio not so equipped).

Reactions: Handy Andy

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.