• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MOBILE INSTALL: 579 Peterbilt

CDBA348A-6C17-48AD-A906-B2B43B02E1FC.jpeg

“Son, your tractor out back. Grab a shovel going out the man door”.

This one has an pair on each side of cab above driver, versus a back of sleeper single . RG59 pair terminates at CB female connector. (No duplexer, I think). Threw in the 980. 1.61 on 1 and 2.95 on 40. I’ll be home in a few more days.

Last 579 project went well enough.

A 980 or McKinley after use I the 885 awhile this time.
“More” is definitely a problem.

4AB999C5-C004-4FC3-BFEB-881EC90B61F1.jpeg

My friend at PALOMAR ENGINEERS had to acquire a non-stock-Number ferrite for my 12V/120V NORCOLD 45 refrigerator/freezer a couple of years ago when last I used it (previous Pete had a built-in VITRIFIGO) as he was out of the catalog item.

In the “new model” 2018 Cascadia I was running, I literally couldn’t use the transceiver when the compressor cycled ON. DSP or no DSP speaker.

Power was run to BATT + at the fuse box main. Other filters tried. Etc.

The monster was worth every penny. I have to listen for cyclic noise now.

This time I have to run a 12V WILSON yellow extension cord about six feet, but all the transceiver power and coax are up front (for now, ha!). The same situation as last time (except didn’t need extension).

From radio power to the reefer power cord the separation distance was at least (5’). The radio itself up high. Didn’t matter.

There is a few inches of power line to either end. Most of it wrapped on toroid.

PALOMAR ENGINEERS DCCF-3
12V version
3” diameter interior dimension
$44.95

I was happy to leave a positive review among (50) others.

How you like my leather-topped workbench? Non-slip courtesy
100% Arabica + Islay’s finest.

Got me some of that, glad you suggested it!

I’ve liked it a great deal due to its (relative) flexibility. I’m sorta nuts about split-loom on everything, so that’s a given.

BUT I haven’t had it underhood long enough to give an unqualified recommendation for a big truck power install. (Reservations, not rejections).

The cable is so far oversize (50A capable at 3% voltage drop per my total circuit run; 30A fused amplifier) that I felt I had some leeway.

NONE OF IT runs near any heat source underhood. In the cab it runs adjacent to a n ECM, so that was the first (Ha!) “Test”.

In any event, once a system proves out (real testing, not just running the gear), THEN I’m willing to spring for ANCOR quality. Every single component.

The concern is over the wire covering.
I wouldn’t use welding cable for main or house battery connections (except temporary emergency).

I’m pleased to own the brand, and whether on big truck or in my travel trailer I feel no qualms about the exposure to heat or other for the routing used. An easy recommendation given caveats.

Last edited:
Reactions: undertaker
A561A255-936B-42F3-A3D7-8C72D907C2FB.jpeg

Parked in Bushnell, Florida after loading in Dallas Friday afternoon. I have laminated shades in the windows.

Got the install on the Uniden 885 Hybrid CB/Scanner started. Above is with console push-clip face removed.

A “normal” AM Radio has provided connections in the overhead:

1). Co-Phase RG-59
2). External Speaker (out of sight; forward-firing built-in)
3). 12V - 15A Binding Posts

As I have the WEST MOUNTAIN RADIO CLEARSPEAKER in the pic below mounted above the drivers seat,

4). Spliced 12V Power ahead of posts.
5). Ran External Speaker audio out.

The 885 has two external antenna lines extra to an 880/980.

6). BNC for wire scanner antenna which attaches vertically to the windshield on the drivers side near that A-pillar

7). “Telephone” style connector for line to GPS antenna. (Radio reads locale for Scanner database; itself read off a chip which plugs in radio top right faceplate).

These pair of antenna lines are in the right of the photo, the DSP speaker pair to the left.

So, not three, but seven connections to be made. A pair of longnose needle pliers required to get Velcro strap thru buckle and attached.

What lines go UNDER and what lines go OVER the securement strap is a pain.

I’ve used several small flashlights in the two dozen times I’ve taken radios in and out of this 579 location. Added/removed an amp, filters, etc. I recommend a headlamp as best choice.

Tools to make this easier is the thing. A little too tight for hands.

As before, a PeopleNet GPS Truck Locator is instaljed to the left of the radio location; secured the same way.

I recommend some 1/4” split loom to cover the wiring for the Locator.

It’s a mess in there as you go to Slide the radio in. Any radio at all. The loom makes it easier for fingers to differentiate what’s what.

To the right of the radio is the PALOMAR ENGINEERS Coax Filter (unseen). A short jumper connects to the radio. This kept the coax AWAY from lines bearing power (clearance light power is routed thru here also).

840F922B-AE97-47E4-B34A-BD6B282180CA.jpeg

Sorry that the image quality is low. Other drivers who happen across this thread will find it easier to understand.

As in an above post this 579 is the single body Skyloft. Thus the front-of-cab cubbyholes are larger.

I used (4) 12” zip ties and Velcro to attach the external speaker. Easy for me to reach controls.

(In the pic I have the truck key in the Accessory position, so you see DEAD CENTER of the dash (I keep an eye on voltage readings; Auxiliary Power Unit cuts on when Low Voltage Disconnect alarm sounds).

The dash read gives a bit of 3D perspective to speaker placement. The base of the speaker is at (1’) above my head when driving, and slightly behind. Literally, perfect.

Last edited:
758F0C38-2DAB-45F8-A0F3-07F40D4CB947.jpeg

I cleaned up the pair of

PROCOMM 4.5’
QuadWrap Antennas

with MoJo (Roadworks) brand metal polish (highly recommended) and followed that with (3) coats of

ReJeX

polymer sealant.

That prep and spacing the ReJeX coats 24-hours apart significantly reduces dirt & bug adhesion to the antennas (10-12,000/miles per month). Survives Blue Beacon pretty well also.

What it will do for exterior chrome or shined components more than pays for them. Easy on/off. Do the side glass, exterior mirror glass and headlight covers too.

I first had these antennas on a Kenworth T-880 a few years ago (Robert, installer at Clays Radio Shop in San Antonio).

Removed the factory antennas on this brand-new truck. SWR fairly far off (too long). This pair both below 2.00 good enough (on a ROADWORKS truck stop SWR Meter) as I’m parked between other trucks at the back of the facility.

Delivery tomorrow, so I’ll get out the denatured alcohol to prep interior glass for antenna mounting. Plus need to stick some Velcro tabs on the glass for the laminated shades (CLEAN & COOL brand).

Last time I was thru Florida I avoided an active shooter situation on a backroad due to the scanner, and was given context on traffic problems northbound on IH95 both from the Orlando area.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.