• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MORSE CODE DROPPED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy_Hamer

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 22, 2001
hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-269012A1.pdf

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: NEWS MEDIA CONTACT:
December 15, 2006 Chelsea Fallon: (202) 418-7991
FCC MODIFIES AMATEUR RADIO SERVICE RULES,
ELIMINATING MORSE CODE EXAM REQUIREMENTS AND
ADDRESSING ARRL PETITION FOR RECONSIDERATION
Washington, D.C. – Today, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) adopted a
Report and Order and Order on Reconsideration (Order) that modifies the rules for the Amateur
Radio Service by revising the examination requirements for obtaining a General Class or
Amateur Extra Class amateur radio operator license and revising the operating privileges for
Technician Class licensees. In addition, the Order resolves a petition filed by the American
Radio Relay League, Inc. (ARRL) for partial reconsideration of an FCC Order on amateur
service rules released on October 10, 2006.
The current amateur service operator license structure contains three classes of amateur
radio operator licenses: Technician Class, General Class, and Amateur Extra Class. General
Class and Amateur Extra Class licensees are permitted to operate in Amateur bands below 30
MHz, while the introductory Technician Class licensees are only permitted to operate in bands
above 30 MHz. Prior to today’s action, the FCC, in accordance with international radio
regulations, required applicants for General Class and Amateur Extra Class operator licenses to
pass a five words-per-minute Morse code examination. Today’s Order eliminates that
requirement for General and Amateur Extra licensees. This change reflects revisions to
international radio regulations made at the International Telecommunication Union’s 2003
World Radio Conference (WRC-03), which authorized each country to determine whether to
require that individuals demonstrate Morse code proficiency in order to qualify for an amateur
radio license with transmitting privileges on frequencies below 30 MHz. This change eliminates
an unnecessary regulatory burden that may discourage current amateur radio operators from
advancing their skills and participating more fully in the benefits of amateur radio.
Today’s Order also revises the operating privileges for Technician Class licensees by
eliminating a disparity in the operating privileges for the Technician Class and Technician Plus
Class licensees. Technician Class licensees are authorized operating privileges on all amateur
frequencies above 30 MHz. The Technician Plus Class license, which is an operator license
class that existed prior the FCC’s simplification of the amateur license structure in 1999 and was
grandfathered after that time, authorized operating privileges on all amateur frequencies above
30 MHz, as well as frequency segments in four HF bands (below 30 MHz) after the successful
completion of a Morse code examination. With today’s elimination of the Morse code exam
requirements, the FCC concluded that the disparity between the operating privileges of
Technician Class licensees and Technician Plus Class licensees should not be retained.
Therefore, the FCC, in today’s action, afforded Technician and Technician Plus licensees
identical operating privileges.
Finally, today’s Order resolved a petition filed by the ARRL for partial reconsideration of
an FCC Order released on October 10, 2006 (FCC 06-149). In this Order, the FCC authorized
amateur stations to transmit voice communications on additional frequencies in certain amateur
service bands, including the 75 meter (m) band, which is authorized only for certain wideband
voice and image communications. The ARRL argued that the 75 m band should not have been
expanded below 3635 kHz, in order to protect automatically controlled digital stations operating
in the 3620-3635 kHz portion of the 80 m band. The FCC concluded that these stations can be
protected by providing alternate spectrum in the 3585-3600 kHz frequency segment.
Action by the Commission on December 15, 2006, by Report and Order and Order on
Reconsideration. Chairman Martin and Commissioners Copps, Adelstein, Tate, and McDowell.
For additional information, contact William Cross at (202) 418-0691 or William.Cross@fcc.gov.
WT Docket Nos. 04-140 and 05-235.
– FCC –
News and other information about the Federal Communications Commission
is available at www.fcc.gov.

usallsy takes 30 days for it to become official, figure late january early febuary before it is official. you will have the current tech with code (tech+) frequencys. limited power out and usage on 80, 40, 15 and 10 meters. for example a small portion of 10m with a max of 200 watts will be available.

i have my general written done already so i will be a general when it the final report and order is filed and becomes official. its not official yet, all it was is the fcc saying they are going to be droping code soon, no date was given

broncoman529 said:
So does this mean I have the operating privilages of a Tech Plus or a General? When is the first day I can start transmitting on these bands? I'm currently a Technician Class, What exactly will be the frequency ranges I will be able to transmit on?
Please let me know.

Thanks,

You still have to take the written exams for each class

I'm glad they are going to remove the disparity between the old novice and tech classes, well, some of it anyway. :?

I wonder if this was the big change that CW Morse was talking about?

Imagine how many folks will be getting their tech tickets now and using their 10 meter linears on 28+

Thats a lot of words, Thats a lot of birds around my geese airport!

Today’s Order eliminates that requirement for General and Amateur Extra licensees.

NO CODE AT ALL?

Am I reading that wright?

C2 said:
I wonder if this was the big change that CW Morse was talking about?

Imagine how many folks will be getting their tech tickets now and using their 10 meter linears on 28+

Again, you will still need to pass your tech then general, for HF

Happy_Hamer said:
You still have to take the written exams for each class

From what I read I will have the same band privilages as a Tech Plus when the change takes effect, But to have General Class and up band privilages existing technicians will need to take the written exams.

C2 said:

:shock: Amen to that :!: *Imagination Runs Wild*

As long as people follow the rules it really shouldn't be a problem. It will be nice to use an amplifier that won't cost me a thousand dollars to buy. :D

The R&O has not yet been issued - only a statement that the FCC is GOING to issue such an R&O:

In a break from typical practice, the FCC only issued a public notice at or about the close of business and not the actual Report and Order, so some details -- including the effective date of the R&O -- remain uncertain. The public notice is located at:

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-269012A1.pdf.

We've known for some time that the FCC is going to issue the R&O. This announcement really doesn't provide any new information.

they are still illeagal to own or use, even on 10m. most can rach full power with less than 50 watts drive (thats a no no). The rules specifically prohibit manufacture and sale of amps that operate between 24 and 35 MHz as a means to stem the flow of illegal Citizens Band amplifiers. full legal mumbo jumbo below.

yes a tech will be able to use a narrow section of 10m phone. 28.300- 28.500 with a 200 watt pep maximum limit.

As used in this part, an external radio frequency power amplifier is any device which, (1) when used in conjunction with a radio transmitter as a signal source is capable of amplification of that signal, and
(2) is not an integral part of a radio transmitter as manufactured.

(b) After April 27, 1978, no person shall manufacture, sell or lease, offer for sale or lease (including advertising for sale or lease), or import, ship, or distribute for the purpose of selling or leasing or offering for sale or lease, any external radio frequency power amplifier or amplifier kit capable of operation on any frequency or frequencies between 24 and 35 MHz.

Note: For purposes of this part, the amplifier will be deemed incapable of operation between 24 and 35 MHz if:

(1) The amplifier has no more than 6 decibels of gain between 24 and 26 MHz and between 28 and 35 MHz. (This gain is determined by the ratio of the input RF driving signal (mean power measurement) to the mean RF output power of the amplifier.); and

(2) The amplifier exhibits no amplification (0 decibels of gain) between 26 and 28 MHz.
(c) No person shall manufacture, sell or lease, offer for sale or lease (including advertising for sale or lease) or import, ship or distribute for the purpose of selling or leasing or offering for sale or lease, any external radio frequency power amplifier or amplifier kit capable of operation on any frequency or frequencies below 144 MHz unless the amplifier has received a grant of type acceptance in accordance with subpart J of this part and subpart C of part 97 or other relevant parts of this chapter. No more than 10 external radio frequency power amplifiers or amplifier kits may be constructed for evaluation purposes in preparation for the submission of an application for a grant of type acceptance.

I thought they changed that in their last action, but still require that it not work on the cb band...but 10 meters would be ok.

I'm tuning my imax for center band, 28.4 MHz, and as soon as the R&O comes out, we be ready to go.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Tim Chambers:
    Pres. Bill 2 FCC mod just posted
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,