• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mosley pro 67-3

I am looking at the Mosley pro 67-3. Has any one had any experience with it? Also found one with the 2" boom. Is that a good option? Thanks Tim

The 2" boom is the standard diameter, The 3" boom is stronger. Mosely say that their antennas are "Hurricane Tested" but take that with a grain of salt.The design hasn't changed in years (decades) so replacements parts are readily available.

The traps will only handle 600 watts using full duty cycle modes (AM, RTTY, FT8 etc.). You need to carefully consider if you can live with that. I can't. Also bugs like to live in the traps.

The 67 is 3 elements on 20,17,15,12, 4 elements on 10, and 2 elements on 40 meters. It weighs 138 lbs. and has a wind surface area of 11.6 square feet. Not a problem with your tower or hazer.

Get a heavy duty rotator like a Yaesu GX-1000DXA, or Pro.Sis.Tel PST 2051D. In my opinion braking force/torque is just as important as rotating force/torque. I don't like the Hy-Gain HAM series or TX2 rotators (because of the braking system) but many do.

You can't tune this antenna (adjust the length of the elements to lower the SWR). Not a problem on most bands, but on 40 meters you may find that the SWR may be high at the bottom and top of the band. Your radio's internal tuner should tune handle it just fine. If you are going to use a Solid State amp you will need a tuner between the antenna and amp (SS amps don't like SWR higher than 1.5:1). A tube amp should be able to cope with and SWR of 3:1.

I think you will find that people either love this antenna or hate it (because of the traps). I don't think anyone would argue that it is well built and strong. It will work and you will have fun with it.

As you know, "Opinions are like A.. H.... and everyone has one".

Here are the links to the rotators I mentioned.
https://www.dxengineering.com/searc...toview=SKU&sortby=Default&sortorder=Ascending

https://www.arraysolutions.com/Rotators/pst2051d

Good luck and enjoy HF.

Last edited:
I appreciate the info on that. I am not planning on doing any cw or fm or ftm stuff. I already have a TX2 sitting in a box i had Norms go thru last summer for me. I like the fact of it being able to get all those bands on one antenna. I am running a tube amp so thats not an issue. Also looking for something for 80 meters. Thanks Tim

I have owned one for over a decade.
Good antenna and as with any trapped antenna performance is as good as it gets.
12 meters and 17 meters are narrow but so is the band frequencies.
40 meters CAN be adjusted using the length of the top hats to move resonant freq up or down the band.
Other bands can be adjusted by the length of the elements but it will also sacrifice the resonance on adjacent bands.
two driven elements front is 10,15.20
rear is 12.17.40 meters.
It has weathered several hurricanes here in N Florida.
The GARS in Gainesville has an 67b on top of the Shands hospital been for years
(I think GARS owns the antenna not sure).
I picked mine up used for $500, best money I have spent next to the antenna analyzer.

I found a used one with the 2" boom for 850 but may just pull the trigger on a new one. Was the used one you got difficult to assemble? Oh and i really appreciate the info. I am trying to put together a decent station here. Thanks Tim

Tim: Though I have found MOSLEY to be one of the BEST tri-banders or multi-band beams around. I was always leery of the "All-in-One" package.
Those of us that live in the Eastern Mid-West (Ill/In/OH/Mich/KY) we can have every extreme of weather. Snow/Ice/Heat/Wind...Tornados/Straight line winds and even remnants of Hurricanes (as was the case for me IKE in the late 90's) where antennas can turn to piles of scrap metal in a matter of only minutes.
The "All-in-One antenna" in a fleeting moment can take you to great heights, to being OFF the air in one passing Spring/Summer storm.
My point is this, think of multiple antennas and not the all in one, where you may have lost one antenna but others are still operational.
My 2 cents IMHO

The used MOSLEY now: The difficulty in assembly would depend on "whom" took it apart.
Mosley always prided itself in assembly. Pre-drilled holes, excellent hardware, detailed instructions and color coded element pieces.
That being said, look the purchase over(in-person) before you hand out the cash and see how the disassembly was done.
Be prepared to contact Mosley for at least some "minor" hardware replacement parts.
Make sure EVERTHING is there. Look at the traps and look the hardware over...checklist etc...
Not distrusting the seller, however why are they selling...How long is it been down...How many times has it been "MOVED" since disassembly was done etc..
These all come into place when purchasing a used beam antenna.
OK personally i would rather have a nice tri-bander (I had a Classic 33 Mosley) and then another tower say with my 6 meter and 40 beam((y):love:) or WARC bands beam on another tower. Good possibility one could be damaged other not.
I use wire beam on 40 meters( have good reports)(at home) but have used a 3 element 40 meter beam at the contest station (I operate from on occasion)
That antenna at 73 feet is a "killer".
Well just my thoughts, keep us up to date on possible progress.
Oh, another note: if that Mosley has the 40 meter kit with it, plus all the WARC bands basically 40 meters thru 20/17/15/12/10, I would say Rohn 45 minimum, most certainly if over 40 feet.
I personally would not use a Tailtwister on that big of beam(to small IMHO) and don't forget about 6 meters!!!!:whistle::LOL:
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

Gary i appreciate the info there. I am leery of the used beam due to the factors you said. It was taken down due to the ooerator not doing HF any longer. Guy serms pretty straight but the beam is all the way up in WI and was taken down in October. I really like the way the Mosley feeds their antenna. I got another tower up for my 11 meter quad so not really any room for another tower. I spoke with the guys at Mosley they advised me this beam is also resonate on 6 meters though they dont advertise it like that. I really like the idea of one feed line for those bands. I know the weather is rough here one reason i like this beam their stuff is made like a tank. Gi have also looked at the Force 12 and M2 beams. They look good but dont really like the way they are fed. Any thoughts on these guys?

Tim: Well Force 12 is technically gone. Now JK Antennas out of Texas owns the name.
M2 antennas are OK, Though my personal opinion on both them is way over the top on price VS Quality. Every M2 I ever looked at, seemed "flimsy" IMHO.
I like Mosley and HyGain, though HyGain's are not the antennas they were in 60's and early 70's. I am running a 6 meter 6 element HyGain...love it!
However I was kinda disappointed in the hardware, I replaced a bunch before I ever put it up.
My homebrew 4 element Tri-bander is a blend of Mosley and HyGain parts. :ROFLMAO:
The trick is this Tim.(agn MHO) A beam using that many bands, can only be optimized on a couple of bands best. The rest are just there...yes some gain BUT...
That why they have so many elements, they are trying to get gain as much possible out of that boom space.
You look around the "Big Guns" still prefer Mono-Banders to the do everything beams.
Don't get me wrong, MOSLEY builds the best IMHO and they do work.
The one feedline does everything is nice, BUT one issue with that driven element/feedline/matching network etc. and you LOOSE everything!!!
The decision is tough call.
OH yea...I be replacing the Quad quickly:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
To much tower space wasted for that band:LOL:
All the Best
Gary

Tim: I seen that listing for that antenna...WAY up near Green Bay, WI.
(OH HELL NO near Minni/St.Paul in Western WI...!!!!
I don't think he would be willing to ship...unless YOU paid someone to come get it and pack and ship. lots of extra $$$$
Otherwise LONG drive to go get it from KY:LOL:

Funny you mentioned Hygain i have looked at their Th-11dx and only reason i wasnt too keen on it was it didnt cover 40 meters. The long drive up to WI is the biggest reason i decided not to pull the trigger on that one. I still enjoy the 11 meter stuff so probably wont take that one down . I have actually worked a bunch of stations on 20 meters using the quad just worked one off the coast of Scotland lol.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
I think the next step down is a TA-53,,or TH-53 10 thru 20 meter.

I have found with my 67B that if it is not installed up around 60 feet AGL or better that a wire for 40 meters works just as well as the yagi.

a driven element and a director, the TH67C has a 3 inch boom and a reflector for the 40 meter band,

I have been looking at log periodic 14-30 mhz.
the TH67B is a big heavy antenna 24' boom and 138 lbs I think.
I used a TX2 and a thrust bearing, never no issue

For an all in 1 yagi it is a compromise, but aren't all multi band trapped antennas?
I sacrificed 12 meters to tune 17 meters in.
12 is like 10 meters when the band is open a wet noodle will make contacts,
20 and 15 meters are great on the TH67B as is 10 meters..
Mosley has great support for their products, I called for tech assist advice and they gladly took the time to help me.

As mentioned a good old TA 33 is hard to beat, throw a fan dipole up for 40/17/12 meters if you want those bands and have fun.
the TA33 a lot less windload and weight

Reactions: BJ radionut
Well i really like the specs on the 67b but those others look good as well. We had an ice storm last Thursday and another last night. Broke my 4 element quad all to hell lol. It actually still works only glass broke and swr not too bad lol

Reactions: wavrider

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated