• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mounting your mobile rig in the car...

thercman

Feb 9, 2012
Since I had sort of a difficult time trying to decide how to mount my rig into the car I thought I would share some photos of my setup. Here was my dilemma. I had already removed my stock center console (under the radio) and inserted an aftermarket piece that would allow for a stereo installation. Under that was a smaller slot for holding random items. Luckily the slot was just about tall enough to fit the dual band Kenwood so I figured with a little dremel work it would go. As I was looking at the Kenwood's mounting bracket I was trying to figure out how in the world I could mount it into the car since there were no places to attach anything. While I was walking around the hardware store I saw some 1.25" wide steel strips with holes drilled along its length. I thought bingo! I can attach this to the bolts in the car and bend it to reach. So I started hacking away at the plastic in order to get the radio to fit in the intended slot on the aftermarket bracket. While I was test fitting the radio it occurred to me. I can mount the duel bander to the stereo! Back to the hardware store to return the metal and buy some plumber's tape (banding). I also stopped at Radio Shack to pick up a "Y" connector that would allow two mono out puts into one stereo plug. This would be inserted into the AUX. port on the stereo deck. Unfortunately I could not get it to work properly. I am not sure if the connector has something wrong with it or not but one band would come in very tinny and unlistenable. So I removed it and just inserted the stereo plug into slot 1 and everything is working great. As I was messing around with the channels on 2m I heard a guys from England. Pretty cool.... Anyway, this whole process has been an adventure. After having to return incorrectly ordered parts, having to wait for the correct ones, and multiple times installing and reinstalling the radio after dropping one screw or messing with the stereo jacks I am happy to say its done! I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that answered my not always straight forward questions. Cheers!

Attachments

• DSC00940.jpg
    DSC00940.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC00942.jpg
    DSC00942.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 157
  • DSC00938.jpg
    DSC00938.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC00954.jpg
    DSC00954.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:

Looks nice.

What is the model vehicle?

I miss the old cars. Drill a couple holes under the dash, mount the bracket and your done.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'll get a couple pictures of the antenna in a little bit. The car is a 2006 Honda Accord. To make the install even a little bit cleaner I am going to try to find that black paint brush bristle looking stuff to adhere to the inside edges where the cords are coming out. Not that you can really see in there but it will help blend it in a bit.

My first car was a 76' Monte Carlo so I know what you guys are talking about. It would be nice to drill a couple holes and be done with it. I am even old enough to remember removing the 8 track to install a tape player in my car. :)

I must say I did a lot of cutting then sanding, then measuring, then cutting, then sanding on that face plate. Whew!

Try your local car audio shop. The one near me sells 12x12 sheets of wrinkle finish plastic that i have used to make custom face plates before.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.