• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Moving to city. Not by choice really

CB590

W9WDX Member
Jun 29, 2016
Trenton Nj
www.590dx.com
Might have relocate to NJ due to job and current housing BS with my sister here in NY arguing all the time. Most houses are very close. Most are 2 1/2 story type. Yard is very small at 14x25 (guess). House in NJ is middle house (nice having a drone). I was thinking the notch in left top corner and run a 20' mast straight up in that corner where brown roof is or just put up a post in middle of back yard. Again 20-25'. Antenna is my A99.

79053B1B-673F-490A-BF2A-03196B9005F4.png 22BCFCB6-AA5F-41C3-8B0E-6E66E15EB39F.png C6125318-2716-45C8-8F71-6138F63245FA.png

The first brown roof is an attached pantry. The second is the screened in porch area. That little notch is part of the house and I have easy access via side screen door. Was thinking post there attached with standard 4" mast standoffs. I was thinking in that area and not near main house(s). I would run coax up high to get to it. It would be 2 top rail probably bolted together. First top rail top would be about 2' above roof and then other rail would be only one over with A99 on that.

Thoughts.

My HF is easier as I have an end fed.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

Current top rail. One and half pieces above roof line here in NY.

this older pic shows only one. Since added 6' more. You can see the screws holding together section just below the balun.

Other option is 20' 9" telescoping mast, but that says 16-18 ga and thin and 1" diameter up top.

AEF14DFA-1387-4D9B-B2E6-0AE56928877C.jpeg

Push up pole info:
8054B078-B8E9-45A3-B708-80CE42DBFEA9.png

Last edited:
No advice on the mounting but if you've got a high level of noise look at the MFJ 1026 noise canceller. It feeds in interfering signals from a receive antenna on the unit out of phase so they're cancelled out on the RF signal your radio gets from the antenna. It's possible to take a S7 noise floor down to S0-S1.

What I was thinking also. Guess we have to wait 3-5 years. :unsure:

Plan is to get property re-perc (had passed but expired a few years ago) in spring. And maybe get a septic put in as well.

Then I can put up a shed and shack with a tower and rig. And maybe one of you can be chosen as caretaker with keys and all.

CB590,

I can relate to where you are at right now, and every new living location is an opportunity for new antenna fun, but in my experience, it is much more gratifying to get an antenna up and working without doing too much legwork when you first move in.

especially if you don't plan to be there forever.
my vote would be to get a 10 foot mast, and strap that A99 right to the chimney if it seems structurally sound.

you can tie a rope to the top of that mast and then hang your sloper antenna off of that and take it all the way to the back of the yard.

get that set up and then see how things work at your new location.
you don't want to put days and days of work into your antenna system only to find out that you have an S+30 noise level due to a neighbor's medical equipment that can never be shut off, or something like that.

you may also find that you have one neighbor with a terrible TV system that rectifies your voice no matter what you do on your end.

best to get it up and running, and if all goes well for the next few months, then you can look into making it optimum.
good luck.
LC

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated